OT RV / Trailer AC units

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT RV / Trailer AC units
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

I tow a 22 foot enclosed trailer to haul Model T's and other collector cars. I've recently decided to install a roof mounted 115 volt AC unit. Anyone have a recommendation on the brand? I am liking the advertised features of the Coleman units in the 15,000 BTU size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Coleman or Dometic but the question is how well is your trailer insulated most haulers are not insulated at all this could be a problem in the summer sun if you can't find a shade tree to park under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

Many of the enclosed trailers I've seen will not even hold a person on the roof trying to mount it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael in northeast Indiana on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

Instead of a roof mount, if there is the room, consider a basement mount, basically a standard window unit without the housing. I have a 15000 btu on the rv and use a 5000 btu ( window mount ) on our sailboat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

Royce,

Unless your trailer was braced specifically for a rooftop a/c - not a good idea ...

Better off to get a portable a/c unit on casters for home use - try it out first to see if it will be adequate.

Then you can cut intake/exhaust holes in the floor/wall for fresh airintake/exhaust.

When you change trailers - you can move the portable a/c unit.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:27 am:

If the trailer isn't insulated, would not the cool air cause condensation on the warm metal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 09:49 am:

The portable units use floor space and use a huge duct for the "hot" side. The duct is about 8-10" in diameter and must be vented to the outside without obstruction. It also must be drained every few hours. (Or drill a hole in the floor for the drain hose.)

I think a permanent/semi-permanent mount unit would work better. You may have to add structural braces and insulate the trailer for best performance. Motorhomes with roof AC units have special braces in the roof to support the weight. Newer units are "central air" mounted on the floor or in the basement. But that requires additional duct work and distribution panels.

Also, have you determined how the AC unit will be supplied with power? Most will require 15A service but 20A wiring is better. That translates to a 3000 Watt generator to cover startup load. Or park where you have access to 30A mobile service socket. And you'll need the service line and plug with a place to store it when not in use.

Plan the install down to the detail or you'll have a mess of fire-hazard spaghetti wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Jim,

I can accommodate a structural beef up if it is needed. I am a mechanic. The roof is welded steel tubing, with aluminum sheet. I may insulate the roof too. None of those things make me want to buy a different trailer for more money.

I plan to wire the trailer with appropriate wiring to support the AC unit and also outlets for lights, battery charger, etc. Again this sort of thing is right up my alley, being a competent and skilled avionic / electrical tech. I have a suitable gas generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

Royce, I too plan to make my Haulmark trailer into an overnighter for tours. My roof is real flimsy, in fact Haulmark said not to walk or sit on it. I have decided to spray Foam the entire trailer with a kit you can get on-line. That would be after I remove all the vanity panels. I have decided to put the air conditioning unit in the front of the trailer. I would get the smallest window type unit. To cover it for winter and transport; I will have a snap on cover made of insulated fabric. I have bought all the electrical for it and will mount the outlets in conduit on the outside of the vanity panels. I have located a company that makes folding dinette seats that fold on the wall. www.blazinbelltech.com/tables

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

My link does not work. the name of the company is: Blazin Bell Tech, they are located in Las Vegas, NV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Harrison,Eatonville,Wa on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

I have a Coleman 15000 btu on my 31 ft. motorhome. It does a good job of cooling it. You will see a lot more Colemans being used than any other brand.Had a Coleman 13500 on my old 28 ft. motorhome. It worked well too. They are also available with a heat strip to provide a little warmth when needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Remember going down the road in the rain that window unit is going to be a funnel bringing in water into the trailer.
Also be SURE that spray stuff is not corrosive. Most of it will hold moisture and create all kinds of issues.
To be honest,If a person could not walk or mount a unit on top of the trailer,I would be concerned about snow load if left outside in the winter.
The Duo therm that is on top of my home built camper serves me well. It is from a 1972 Winnebago.It ran 5 days straight up till this morning while I was at the threshers reunion.
A very good friend of mine that passed away a few years ago who coauthored of some of the books used for rv repair training,preferred Dometic .In his classes he had more donated Colemans with issues than Dometics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Hi Royce,
I have used Coleman's over the years with good luck.
The wood frame trailers use a couple of 2x4's for support. The unit doesn't weigh very much.
If you plan on sleeping in the trailer they have models with a thermostat which shuts it down between cycles.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration