Radiator Uh-Oh

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Radiator Uh-Oh
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

While working on my steering gears I saw something strange in the radiator area I removed the radiator to check the full extent of the problem

this is what I found my first reaction is WTF then I see this

That is some kind of industrial grade sealant but why is it on the side supports of the radiator

and

look like cold solder joints from the factory maybe the guy didn't know how to solder but I would have at least tried J.B.Weld oh well its fixed now... wonder what I will find next?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

I would not use JB weld on a radiator. I have a wonderful original 1911 that I can not solder do to someone using space aged JB type stuff on it. I like JB weld and use it on other stuff but not a radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel in Temperance MI on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Your radiator looks very similar to the Brassworks I bought and put on my roadster in about 1999, then drove it 15000 miles. Several repairs later I replaced it this year with a Bergs radiator.

I am not sure if I will get the Brassworks repaired again, as I have put several hundred dollars in fixing the neck that came off and the side panels that came apart at the "cold" welds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Chuck,
I don't think they are "cold welds" or "cold solder joints". What they are is "work hardened" or "stressed" solder joints. In order to have very good longevity, a radiator needs to have good mechanical connections (rivets, snap-flanges, etc) before it is soldered. It shouldn't just be an assembly of parts "glued together" with solder. These joints are solely "soldered together" with no other mechanical connection and that is why they failed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 11:11 am:

I have had the same problem on my 26 brassworks radiator. My son is very handy with a torch and he soldered it back on. So far it has not happened again. I think the reason this happens is the bolt which holds the shell on the radiator near this joint puts a strain on the joint. I now put a spacer between the shell and the radiator so that the bolt doesn't pull the radiator toward the shell.

I would not use anything like JB weld because if you want to solder it in the future, you would have a big problem trying to clean up the metal to make a good solder joint.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

and the modern "lead-free" solder is no good for this kind of work, it metal fatigues quickly and it's just not a stable alloy like the old stuff.
BTW, the pic of the bottom attaching flap looks like a poorly tinned joint to me, but I agree, a mechanical attachment at that point would be a big plus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

I didn't say I used J.B. but whoever tried to stick the side supports on with silicon I was just wondering what he was thinking. I broke out my last pound of lead based solder to fix it and like norman I am putting a spacer at the attachment point and the shell :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration