Rad Hose question on 16

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rad Hose question on 16
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

I took off the old hoses today pipe is worse than I thought and rad. Sure needs a flush! I did save all the clamps. My question is how do you put on top hose? Can I take off support rod and move radd? There is not much room I don't want to hurt radd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

I usually put the hose on the eng part first then as I bring the radiator down I line the hose up with the radiator inlet and push down. that lower pipe needs to be replaced looks like it has seen better days :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles whitehouse on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

You can remove the radiator or remove the thermostat housing. Radiator is probably best to help with flushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

The vendors sell brass pipes to replace the rusted-out steel ones. When they're painted black, you can't see that they're not the original material and they'll last forever.

If you don't want to take the radiator loose, it's easy to remove the water outlet from the head and put everything together loose, then bolt it back in place. Put some sealant on the connections of the hoses to the metal parts, then clamp them down using modern clamps so they seal better. After a couple of weeks, you can replace the modern clamps with the originals. (This is a method I learned from John Regan, and it works great.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Thanks guys I don't know if the bolts on thermostat housing will come out they are eroded away the top hose must have leaked a long time. I did get it flushed out with garden hose pretty good a lot of rust! I got a tingle in my hand every time I held the outlet finely I figured out my drop light was in the water I was getting a shock!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Well, to each his own, and I'm not saying G.R.'s top hose method is incorrect, but I actually am luckier doing it the opposite way...put the hose and outlet on the rad first, then line it up and bolt it to the engine. Tried the other way once, didn't like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Charles,
What thermostat housing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Paul remove the radiator support bolt first that will give you a lot more wiggle room

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Since your radiator has so much sludge in it, I would remove the radiator. Yes, you can do it as above, but why waste the time? You can back flush it your self, but I'd take it to a radiator shop, and they can check it for leaks when done. The hoses are sold in sets by Langs, and you can purchase the inlet pipe at the same time. If your hose clamps are still good, go ahead and use them. Should you choose to get new ones, don't use the cheap ones they sell. The exact duplicates are now made by Snyder, and maybe Langs has them too. The Rip Van Winkle did not have red hoses, it had black hoses!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

I did get the radd. I think clean with a garden hose the sludge was soft.it looks good and it drains fast when I fill it up. I bought new hoses today from Bobs if I knew the pipe was bad I would have picked one up. I will flush block out better when I replace freez plugs I think I will try G.R.s idea. yes Henry I think we should call it a water outlet! Larry maybe the bottom hoses were original? I saved all the hose clamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

Thermostat? Thermostat?! We don' need any steenking thermostat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Paul -- If those bolts are eroded away, I'd suggest that you find some way to remove them and replace them with good original ones.

Steve -- That should be, "We don' need NO steenking thermostat!" And here I thought you spoke Mexican. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

well I got it. I took off the water outlet I used heat on the head with a cutting torch and vice grips bolts came right out threads are fine bolt heads are rusted bad.I was afraid to mess with suport rod.bottom tube is to far gone to patch I put a old hose on to test and no leaks. I did flush it out and fish a wire in block it seems clean all the rusty sludge was in bottom of radd.I will get a bottom tube next parts trip thanks guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Mike, Alfonso actually said it both ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OcM23Hbs5U

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

Flush videos, once again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnOZ2MZt5FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ3nkPm87X0

:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration