Molasses question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Molasses question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

I would like know, what has happens to anyone's body filler, after it's been in a molasses soak. I know it doesn't remove body filler, or paint. But what happens if you leave it on, and soak it. Is it still good, or do you need to remove it, and replace it.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

It needs to be ground out and removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Johnson, Medina County TX on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Use a bit of heat from a Propane Torch or a Heat Gun and it will scrape out like putty. Only a bit so you don't warp the metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

You mix it sulfur to aid constipation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

I would not risk it. If it soaks in the molasses (or anything else for that matter) I would remove it. You can never tell what the long term effects will be so don't take the chance. Always better to do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again latter if it fails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Thanks guy's I had the same idea about removing it. But I was in a hurry today, to remove the last bit of it. I have scraped about a 1/3-1/2 gallon of filler off my quarter panels already. I removed the upper parts of the quarter to check underneath it, and I was glad I checked. Someone had brazed, glassed, then use filler over the belt line on one side, because of rust, so I needed to check the pass side.

It all started with a little crack on the belt line at the T strip, and grew from there. I have welded in a patch, and repaired it above the belt line, but I need to fix the belt line yet. That's where the filler is still on it. I have to go get my tanks filled to braze it, now that it has brass on it.

Pat

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration