Timer shield / felt question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Timer shield / felt question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:17 am:

I'm in the process of getting my engine ready to run. I removed the original timer, roller, and shield and plan in installing an original New Day. My question is regarding the brass timer shield. I plan on leaving the felt seal with the shield but mine is worn some on the edges and the inner shoulder is only held on about 1/4 of the circumference due to wear. Are the new shields any better dimensionally than what I read about on earlier posts? If my shield is bad and no good ones can be acquired, is the neoprene seal okay? I really don't like the idea of a loose fitting seal that has to be held in with RTV goop but I'll do what I have to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:27 am:

For just a couple of bucks replace the felt and shield with a modern neoprene seal. You will have a lot fewer problems with leaks and shorts caused by bent up shields. In my opinion this is a very good up grade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:33 am:

I remember seeing a response here at the forum indicating the timer shields were OK nowadays, but that may have been from one vendor, while other vendors still have bad shields? - I don't know really, but since the modern seals are so good, there is little reason to use the old style timer shields anyway.

The hole for the felt wasn't machined by Ford, so the diameter varies. You can check how the modern seal fits, if it's loose enough to fall out again, then you can squeeze it slightly in a vice. That'll expand the outer diameter somewhat, usually enough for a good fit in the timer cover. I haven't had to fasten my cam shaft seals by RTV - it's the modern crank shaft seal that has to be held steady by such stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Justin : I do it the same as Roger told you,see picture, but do it slowly it go's very fast.
Toon
2158R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Since there is no oil pressure, I think the original felt and timer shield would work just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Justin - I used the neoprene seals in my speedster with no problems. Easy to install and they give a good seal where you surely need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

Thanks for the clarifications and recommendations. I think that I'll give the new seal a shot and if it doesn't meet my liking then I can always change back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Justin, I just put a modern seal in my motor last fall. I also run a New Day and it is always dry. You'll like it. PK

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration