OT, Whistle noise in 2002 Pontiac

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT, Whistle noise in 2002 Pontiac
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

yes, way off-topic, but we can't seem to find the problem (or solution to the problem) so I'm asking this extremely knowledgeable group. My Mom's 2002 Pontiac (Yes, one of the last ones built) 4 door develops a "whistling" noise around 65 MPH and with a cross wind. It's rather annoying on a long trip! Any ideas out there? We've had shops look for it and we've looked for it, and so far nada.
Many thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Put a passenger in the car with you with all the windows closed and doors locked, and, while the whistling noise is happening, have them press out on each window, one at a time, until the noise either stops or changes. Once you have figured out which window/door is involved, look at shimming behind the weatherstrip with cardboard or something similar to make the weatherstrip press harder on the window or door. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

Sounds like a perfect question for Click and Clack.

I agree that it sounds like a weatherstripping issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Does it have any of those little plastic deer whistles mounted on it? If so, take them off and see if the noise goes away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

Could also be a faulty Modulator valve in Transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

Does it have a roof rack? The one that used to be on my MK.IV VW Golf would drive me nuts on the highway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

Hmm, already tried the press on the windows/doors and windshield trick. No roof rack, so that's out.
Jack -- faulty modulator valve???
Noise SEEMS to be from under the hood, but it's impossible to locate just where it's coming from.
We are planning a 13 hour drive next month, so would like to silence it--and NO, turning up the music doesn't mask it! :-) And it doesn't seem to know any Glenn Miller tunes. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

David,I had a brand new 82 Buick and it would whistle it's butt off starting around 35MPH.I took it back to dealer.They had to drop the tranny to fix it,but that did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

There should be some plastic/rubber flaps or strips that block air around the grill and radiator, under the hood. They are there to block airflow through some areas. If they are broke, loose, or missing, it can cause air to whistle in those areas. I had that happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Dennis is right on the money - I had a car that the piece of rubber was loose beside the rad and it drove me nuts until I found it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Had a Mazda that did that. It was a small rust hole at the edge of the windscreen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

I had a Canadian Pontiac Strato Chief that did that once after turning a corner and heading into the wind.
It took a while to figure out.
It was in the fresh air vent when set just right and at a certain wind speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 12:18 am:

Thanks for the suggestions--I will forward them to my Brother, who lives where the car is. I'll be up in a few weeks too and will snoop around some more too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 12:20 am:

Whistling eh?.. Reminds me of a friend of mine years ago when we rode off road bikes for recreation. His Yamaha would get a whistle up at about 50mph on. He went home and stripped it down and disassembled the motor and couldn't find a danged thing wrong. Reassembled it and at the last moment noticed a .22 rifle shell stuck between the cooling fins on the head. Took it out and problem solved!!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration