EARLY FORD DEALER SIGN

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: EARLY FORD DEALER SIGN
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

Mike Hansen, Here are the photos you requested of the original early Ford Dealer Sign from my Ford Parts Bins post.

FORD DEALER SIGNEARLY FORD DEALER SIGN
EARLY FORD DEALER SIGN-2EARLY FORD DEALER SIGN-3

NOTE THE ROUGH BLUE PAINT IMPREGNATED WITH SAND

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

Glen, between 1970 and 1990, a small independent garage in a nearby unincorporated village had one of those signs on the front of it, dating back to the 20's. I wanted it as soon as I saw it, and probably could have had it for little or nothing, if I had just asked. Thinking that the owner probably wouldn't part with it, I decided to wait decades to ask, Then one day when I drove past, the building had been spruced up; the name had changed; and the sign was gone. Somebody wasn't as timid as I was to ask about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Terry, Forget timid. Jump while the gettings good.
In 1964 The Orange County Model T club had a tour to Pismo Beach. While there we toured the local area and found an old garage. My sign was hanging inside on the back wall. Our club members were excited and called the owner of the garage who was out to lunch. They asked him if he would sell the sign and he said no. So much for that. Several hours later I returned to the garage in my 1922 Model T coupe. I introduced myself to the owner and exchanged a few stories with him. I admired his sign and asked if he might sell it? He looked at me and said. "If you like that sign you can have it!". I was shocked. Apparently I made a good impression on him and he felt generous. The other club members were not happy, but envious when I came back to camp with the sign. The sign has hung in my museum ever since and is the center piece of my collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson - Kingwood, Texas on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Very nice. Thanks Glen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

The Ford dealership in downtown Oroville (currently moving to a new location, sadly) had a "Ford Service" sign hanging under their canopy leading to the service area until about 1985 -- a Model T Era sign!! I too, never inquired about it, and one day it was just GONE. I suspect a midnight requisition, as it was just there by the sidewalk & no one at the dealership seemed to know anything about its disappearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

David - now when they're cleaning out for the move, it's time to ask what obscure parts and literature they find deep down in the basement or up in the attics :-)
I've heard about old dealerships that had shelves and stairs made out of NOS model T running boards..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

When our dealership in Clinton Arkansas moved about 15 years ago to a new building, I asked if there were any of the old model A or T parts or tools left. They were quick to say "no" nothing like that here anymore. But if I wanted to look, I could have anything I wanted as they were done with the move. When I walked into the older section, that used to be the garage/shop area, there were two red cabinets against the wall. When I opened them they were full of all the old dealer tools for the Ts and the As. One cabinet was for the T tools and the other was for the A tools. It was almost everything that KR Wilson sold except the combination machine base. All the fixtures were still there for the combination machine but they had thrown the combination machine base, as well as the pan jig, and rear axle stand away, several years before. The only tool they took from the T era was the KR Wilson engine stand. as they still were using it. I also found several porcelain "Ford" oval signs, and about a pickup load of misc, T , A , and V-8 parts. Talking to the owners and the old parts man, they said they had hauled about 10 loads to the dump during the move, but they "were sure" there were no old T or A parts took to the trash. (probably as sure as they were there were no tools or stuff there when I first asked" I guess the "moral" to the story is "always" stop and ask, and be a little persistant about it ... I forgot to say, I still have the cabinets and tools today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

As well-known as our hobby is, it amazes me that no one there thought to inquire if anyone wanted the stuff they were paying to haul away (at least they were paying for the workers' time).
I will see if I can find anything! I hadn't really given it a thought, but the parts area HAS been in use since (I think) before WWII!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

When I moved to Corona in 1965 the local Ford dealer still had a KR Wilson engine stand and all the original heads for it. I asked them to let me know if they ever wanted to sell it. When they closed the business it all went to the dump. I was sick. How stupid can you be? They had a ready buyer and just didn't care. Fortunately I have 3 other engine stands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Yes, it pays to ask, AND it pays to present yourself in a proper light as
someone with a genuine interest. Showing up in an old car is like having
the golden key to the crapper ! I have managed to get permission to access
places that many I know have been denied. It's all in the approach. Show
up as a "picker" just looking to make money off the visit and you will likely
get nowhere. Just show up as a someone genuinely into that stuff with some
"visual grease" like a Model T to provide proof of that interest, and you will
likely get some good stories, if not permission to investigate or salvage items.

Honesty and a straight forward discussion goes a long way ! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration