PROGRESS ON EARLY FORD BOOK - 1903 to 1936 - THE MODEL T ERA IN NEW ZEALAND

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: PROGRESS ON EARLY FORD BOOK - 1903 to 1936 - THE MODEL T ERA IN NEW ZEALAND
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

I added to Kevin Weeds thread about Ford assembly history, with the following. It was suggested that this should be a new thread, so here it is....

I have not been on the forum for quite some time, being busy with a variety of matters (including the Buzzy Rental Cars business which is beginning to take off - long may it continue).

Another project that I have been able to put to bed is the first Ford - NZ book. I may as well announce that the manuscript has gone to Penguin, who expressed an interest in seeing it, and I am waiting their review and, I guess, a decision. It has been a long time coming - and this is the final step. It could take another 3 months or so before we hear from them.

The book (manuscript) measures exactly 87,429 words and about a zillion photos and other graphics. It covers the period up to 1936, when Ford opened in New Zealand in their own right.

The chapters are...

Horseless Carriage (the beginnings of motoring in NZ)

An Empire is Founded (Ford is founded and first Fords in NZ)

Early Style (covers the period to 1914)

War and Peace (war conditions and it remains peacetime at home in NZ)

Expansion and Contraction (the post-war ups and downs to about 1923!)

Model Changes (competition from other manufacturers, improved Ford and end of the Model T)

After T (Model A, V-8, English Fords etc plus a partially irreverent look at what happened to Model Ts through to current day)

The book focuses strongly on the NZ story. But it does cover the influence of Ford of Canada, and comparisons with Australia. I'm hoping it will have quite a universal (ha!) appeal. The book does have a title (which, of course, would also need to be accepted by a publisher) so that remains under wraps for now.

Kevin Weeds and Wayne Tomlins - this book, once published, will hopefully answer a lot of the questions you have posed.

Wayne, you are quite right about the 'dark ages', being from the Model A era to 1936. This book will touch on that - there were a lot of influences - all steel bodies, a relatively small marketplace, Buy British, the Great Depression and more.

Also, work has started on bringing the next book together (a huge amount of work has already been undertaken). This covers the years 1936 to 1988 (when the assembly plant at Seaview was operating). By reading the end of the first book, and the first chapter of the 1936-88 book, a reader will have some light cast upon those 'dark ages'!

I have also started a Facebook page on that book, in an effort to get out some stories from those who were on the shop floor and out in the fields. See https://www.facebook.com/groups/842268699195468/

However, for now, perhaps if everyone in the Model T world please cross fingers (and toes) that Penguin says 'YES'!!

I am eternally grateful to the MTFCA, in particular several members in NZ, and elsewhere (you know who you are!) and this very forum. It is a wonderful asset to the world of early Fords.

Best wishes,

John
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

My hopes are up!
Glad to see you're back and still with us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 02:53 am:

Thanks Wayne. I'm still around but very busy with a bunch of things.

I do like your Personal Quote on your profile. Well said.

I was just thinking, when I set out on this mission, the internet was new, digitalised newspapers from long ago was wishful thinking and the lovely Bruce McCalley was still with us! It is a massive relief to have this monkey off my back (although I feel another one climbing up my legs!!).

I've had some very nice PMs and messages from this posting and through the Facebook link (including from another researcher, Luke Dahlinger). Thank you for the support. But it ain't published yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

I'd like a signed copy please John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

John,

I and many others look forward to reading your book! Thank you for working so hard to bring that information together.

And yes, I understand more than I would like to understand about that "being busy with a variety of matters." But I like to think I'm busy about more important matters than I used to be busy with....

We will keep our fingers and toes crossed for you and your book!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:31 am:

John,
Glad to hear it's gone to a potential publisher. Congratulations. We look forward to reading your work,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 03:40 am:

Thank you all for the comments.

Rod, assuming we get this thing published, I would be happy to devalue the book my adding a scrawl for you! You were one of the first that I talked to about this project way back about 2005. Where does the time go?

Hap, your thoughtful assistance and gentle patience throughout this long period has been of immeasurable value.

Rob - you'll need a few Kool-Aids when you read it, especially the bits about Model K!!!

I'll keep this wonderful forum posted as to progress.

Best wishes,

John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration