TT rear end question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: TT rear end question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Hey forum,

I have heard that for certain years there was a rib of metal around the edge of the rear end housing where it meets the axle on the 1 ton trucks. Does anyone know what years this feature existed? Here is a picture of mine.

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
truck rear end.docx (76.1 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Shoot, I dont think my picture loaded. I had a black arrow pointing to the ridge right as the clam shell ends and the axle begins. Hopefully its obvious from this picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Interesting ....

I am in ATL at the moment and unable to look at my truck/s, but I do have pix of the two
project rear ends on my computer and both do not have the ridge. If memory serves, the
gurus of Antique Auto Ranch believed these two to be late production ... 25-26-27.

What year is your truck believed to be ?

I'll check the 26 when I get home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Jason,
I have what I believe to be an '18 TT. The rear end clam shells have the bead at the axle tube opening as shown in your photo. Interestingly, your axle housing cap has the oil plug which I believe to be characteristic of later trucks.

I've scrounged around for years trying to get a precise answer to your question. Although I never did find one, what I have found (not much) leads me to believe the bead was removed sometime not long after the first year of production, probably by late 1918 or early 1919. Unfortunately, if you ask me for proof of that opinion I can provide none.

Not to hijack you thread, since you have an early rear end, could you please take a look at the top edge of the clam shells to the rear near the axle housing cap and see if there are any numbers stamped there? Mine has 6315 stamped on each half. I've never been able to find a clue what those numbers might mean. For that matter I've never found another rear end similarly stamped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Henry, can you provide a pic of these numbers/location ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

Like Henry P, I have been looking for that answer for several years now. I also have not yet seen it. I have looked at probably hundreds of TT housings, and seen less than a handful with the ridge. I suspect no more than two years of production, three at the most for that early style. 1918 model year was the first real year of production, with a few trucks built in 1917.
Nice piece! Good luck.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

It's my understanding that the rib is a feature of the early TT axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Burger,
I'll give it a try, but I'm not sure I can get a camera or iPhone far enough away since the truck bed is right over the area I'd need to photograph, In the morning when the light is better I'll see if I can get one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

Another riddle left to us by Henry!!!! I got 3 truck rear ends and none have that ridge. I know that one is a '23... well when I say "know" that is what the second owner, who had the truck from 1945 to when I got the remnants out of his back yard, told me!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

I passed one up last fall at an auction with a ridge for scrap price. I didn't feel like wrestling it into my truck. I kind of wish I had grabbed it. I was also too excited with the other TT rear that I bought with a good long nose Ruckstell shifter on it. I took the shifter and sold the rest for what I paid. Again, too dang heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

Justin,

You can give up that gym membership and save all that money if you
just spend a little more time hefting those rear ends in and out of your
truck. Set a goal for one under each arm. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

The MTFCI Judging Guidelines have the TT rear axle housing with the ridge as 1917-19. I have seen 6 or so sets of them and only two had the end cap w/o the oil plug. Either the cap was changed earlier in the production or it was a popular item to replace - one of the plug-less caps I saw had a corner broken off. The early TT frames also had a shorter rear cross member, measuring 32" instead of 34-1/2" and had only one bolt hole per side instead of two.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

Burger, my father used to say, "Don't strain your milk." I try to follow that advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Thanks fellas - I wonder if the MTFCI judging guidelines would have info on this question(?)

Burger,
I am not sure of the year of my frame and body. In fact, I was hoping answering this question would help narrow down the year. I know my wood firewall indicates 1923 or earlier. And the single hole cab mounts are 33 1/2'' apart (center to center) which according to Fred Miller, puts it at 1922 or earlier (he says the 1923 mounts would be 35 1/16'' apart center to center). So that's what I 'know' so far.

Henry,
Yes I will take a close look for those numbers. It will be a few days before I can confirm this though (my TT lives across town right now). If its a long time before I get this info then I will PM you when I find out.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

If you guys are really interested in the TT rear end differences, there's another you must disassemble it to see. The earlier trucks, 1918-23 I think, had a differential pinion shaft with 2 differential pinion gears. The later trucks, 1923-27, had a differential pinion spider with 4 differential pinion gears. The corresponding differential gear cases were machined to match. I know mine is an early one with the pinion shaft and 2 pinion gears because I've had it apart.

Also a difference I have only seen once in a photo on this forum, was a rear end with roller bearings for both outer and inner bearings. This in contrast with what every other one I ever saw had, a roller outer bearing and a ball bearing for the inner. Of course, this may have been someone's home made improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 12:04 am:

Rich C.,
You must have been answering my question about the guidelines as I was asking it. Thanks! Do the guidelines mention exactly when in 1919 the ridge was discontinued? Now I need to measure the cross member. One thing I noticed in your picture is that you have only 1 rivet where I seem to have 3 in the housing attaching it to the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Antonino on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Here is what my TT Ruckstell looks like, mine is a 27. On the passenger side on the pumpkin my is stamped TT2, drivers side it is stamped P10001 Ruckstell

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration