Model T's in Oregon

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T's in Oregon
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Oregon is about to enact a pay by mileage fee for cars. The goal is to eventually have a GPS tracker installed in every vehicle and they would pay for road usage by mile instead of a tax per gallon. I wonder if a GPS tracker could be attached to a Model T?

Another thing I wonder is what will happen to all the tourists who visit Oregon who don't have trackers in their own cars, or even if they do, how will Oregon receive the fee?

Will this lead to banning older cars or out of state vehicles?

If this system is also enacted in other states which have toll roads or toll lanes, will the drivers still have to pay the tolls in addition to the new mileage tax?

I don't like it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Funding is down for road repair and Oregon is looking for ways to increase funding. The tracking device is one way. Salem is also looking at increasing the gas tax payed at the pump. The GPS unit is a ways off for most drivers and only is being beta tested on a few cars. I would think that there would be a huge cost involved in changing over the pumps and collection of tax by the retailers from the programs all ready in place and the state setting up the programs to bill and collect the tax from the consumers. (as most know, the state gets involved and we know there will be smooth sailing, right!) Oregon would not be wanting to hurt it income from tourist $ and at this point it's still a study. As far as toll roads, that has been on the table for some time esp on some of the state highways that have very heavy traffic such as the Sunset Hwy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

Sounds like a brain fart to me! Michigan is also trying to fix or raise the money to fix our roads by taxing almost everyting in sight except city,county,and state govt cars and trucks.Maybe they should think about our Michigan Specials,Doubbles and 8 axle trailers?? Maybe our Farm Laws need chainging also as the dairy industry likes to haul huge tankers with high speed tractors with no plates,no weight limit,and not paying any road fuel or sales tax!!!! On top of that,most of them hire illeagles to work there!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

This sort of problem is, I believe, rampant throughout the USA. Virtually all public services are crying for more money because, "There's just not enough to get things done!"

I have o question. Where's all the money we're already paying going? Here in CA our local taxes go to the state and then are re-distributed to cities, counties, school districts, and all the other agencies based on state formulas. I think we need a simple accounting. Is the amount received by the state on behalf of local agency taxpayers equal to the amount distributed back to those agencies? If it is, why does it go to the state in the first place? If not, why not.

I know.. Too simple. It's a very complicated problem and us mere mortals couldn't possibly understand. Bologna!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

I think that most of our tax money goes to finance the bureaucracy, and what is left over is used for services. When ever there is a cut back in any bureaucracy's budget, they always cut back on services but never those who push the papers. And when the government shut down a while back, the National Park Service put on extra help to make sure no citizen could use public land. Part of the reason they are trying to figure out how to re invent road tax is because cars use less gas per gallon now, and some use no taxed fuel if they are electric, they are either powered by Diesel, coal, atomic or hydro, and none of these contribute to the maintenance of the roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

Texas is not considering this. We also don't have legal pot or state income taxes.

Look at who your elected officials are and what they have done for you. Which states are spending money foolishly and taxing the living daylights out of their citizens as a result? The ones who are run by the wrong politicians. The ones who hate the idea of privately owned vehicles.

For the good of the collector car hobby - and car owners in general for that matter - you need to vote liberal democrats out of office. Or move to a state where are not any elected in numbers sufficient to cause harm. If we don't say anything about crooked immoral politicians who will? This is a serious matter, and as car hobbyists we need to use our votes, our voices, and our dollars in ways that help make the problem better.

For goodness sakes VOTE!

You can also support SEMA, who supports the car hobby at the state and national level. Here is the SEMA web site:

https://www.sema.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

Here in Oroville they cut budgets, didn't hire new people, even though they added new parks with care-taking needs. Finally cut 22 of us out (I was the museum curator (5 museums) & performing arts Center manager, replacing two people years ago). Now that they 'saved' all that money by getting rid of 22 folks and combining departments, the Department heads went back to the city council and said, "Our duties have increased, we need raises." And the city council said, "By golly, you're right, and we have these savings we can use to pay you more!"
Most self-serving bunch I ever saw. . . .
And I am so glad to be out of there, even though I'm surviving on half of what I used to make (one reason the Ts aren't getting restored very fast). And no, I wasn't making "big bucks" back then either, around $20 hr, so it was OK.
So, if the economy is doing so great, how come there's no money to fix public stuff??? It wouldn't be the $200K/yr salaries they're paying the City Administrator and Dept heads would it? (town's population about 15K)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

The real reason the need for higher taxes for roads and infrastructure is deferred maintence. These bozo's elected by us have always deferred road and bridge repairs.

For years these same people have used our precious tax dollars for everything but road repairs. It seems to me the inmates are running the loony bin.

We in Washington State have the 2nd highest gasoline tax and the worst traffic issues, go figure.

Now these same idiots can't find enough money to fix the roads but can always find enough money to fatten their paychecks which they just got. Even our unable to govern governor got one. Even though he has a majority in his own party he has no ability to direct or govern. It took our ineffective legislature 3 special sessions(helping to fatten their bank accounts even more) to pass a budget that has now been termed illegal and guess what more legal challenges and of course more cost to the tax payers.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

The problem permeates our entire system at all levels. This discussion brings to mind the following story - altogether too close to the truth:

A fellow working in a high-rise office building adjacent to a freeway observed 2 state highway workers in a pick-up. They were in the area near the fence. The driver would get out of the truck, get a shovel out of the back, dig a hole behind the truck, return the shovel to its place, then get back in the truck. The other guy would then get out, get his shovel, fill the hole in, put his shovel back, and get back in the truck. They'd then drive forward about 20 feet and do the whole thing all over again.

By lunch time they had dug and filled over a dozen holes. It was driving the office worker nuts, so being on his lunch break too he walked over to the fence where the 2 guys were, explained what he had observed and asked them what the heck they were doing.

The fellow who drove the truck explained, "We have a very strict labor contract. It's my job to drive the truck and dig the holes." Pointing to his co-worker he said, "it's his job to fill in the holes. The fellow who plants the trees is off sick today."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

Idaho just installed a 7 cent a gallon tax on gas effective July 1 which is the start of the fiscal year. It will only give about 1/3 the amount needed to get our roads in shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

10 years ago in chicago I was at a building that worked on trucks I asked the guy why are some trucks dusty havent been moved for a long time he said oh thats crews with clout they cant park and loaf anymore people complain. so they just dont show up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Part of the problem too is seems like virtually everybody from the city hall janitor right on up to the mayor or city manager "has" to make at least 60K and up, er, way up-- or as the so-called city/county/state/school officials will cry--- "we can't get qualified people on less".....when did it get to where a pencil-pushing city adminstrator type with multiple assistants needs to make $145K a year? Gimme a break!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Gasoline taxes decrease as vehicle miles per gallon increase. Government hates that.

If we all drove Teslas, which do not consume any gasoline, we would not have to pay any gasoline taxes. So, as the gasoline tax becomes obsolete, expect taxes on miles driven. Government is simply changing the scheme by which it extorts money we earn from us in the form of a new way to tax us.

We have allowed government to get away with believing that the money we earn is theirs, and that we get to keep only so much of it as the government decides we can keep. We have grown lazy and complacent, and have allowed this to happen to us.

We must change this, otherwise it is our own damn fault.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

To be clear, gasoline tax revenue decreases as vehicle miles per gallon increase. Government hates that, because the result is that government receives less tax revenue from a gasoline tax as a result of vehicles consuming less gasoline per mile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Cutting to the chase, our financial system for government agencies is flawed.

No government agency is ever rewarded for saving money. If they save money and do not spend their allotment, they get less for the next budget year. So managers find ways to waste the left over dollars, so they can get even more to waste next year.

Washington state charges a sur charge for electric vehicles $100. annually. A average gas powered car will pay just at $200 annually in gas tax.

So Us gas people are subsidizing the electric car owners, Not only do we have one of the highest gas tax but we are now being forced to help out the electric car operators as well.

go figure,

brasscarguy

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration