Reversing rotation on a Du4 magneto?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Reversing rotation on a Du4 magneto?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

In laymans terms, could someone explain to me how to take a left have rotation and make it a right hand rotation? I have extra parts if needed, but is it possible to use the parts already on the mag?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

you can retime the gears for the opposite rotation, but the point sets are specific to cw or ccw rotation. They should be marked accordingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

Ok, I have some other sets of points! How do I go about re timing it?
Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 02:35 am:

You have to take the impulse coupling apart and have the proper points set.
It's all there >>> http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/magnetos/ABCoupApp1.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 11:45 am:

The above link covers only the changes to the impulse. You need to retime the armature to the rotor shaft by removing the housing around the points- three screws as I recall and there are timing marks on the armature gear and the rotor gear and they are marked cw and ccw. You can slide to rotor out and remesh it on the correct timing marks. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

Ok, that doesn't seem too hard at all! I'm going to give it a try. By the way, I have an early brass one with the clip on front. Does any one know what years they made these, and if they are more valuable that a regular old Du4?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

If you click on the OTHER pages at the bottom of the linked page it's all there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration