Who uses the filter under transmission door?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Who uses the filter under transmission door?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

What experience have you had with the transmission cover filter? I have not used one before but am thinking about putting one in the low mileage 1926 Fordor while I'm in the engine and trans.
I have installed adjustable lifters and one piece valves, new front main seal, new bands, new wiring, original stop light and switch, cleaned radiator and block and gas tank, rebuilt vaporizer carb, coils and spark plugs.
Another question is should I install dippers on the rods?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

In my opinion, the filter is a good idea. Anything that can catch particulates (band material, and other bits) is a good thing. You will be less likely to clog the internal oil line. As for dippers on the rods, I think anything that will help splash oil around will help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

It's amazing what all you will catch in that filter! After I first tried one years ago, I put them in all my T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Steve, i would highly recommend the screen/magnet filter for any T, best money you can spend to protect your motor. Here's a short vid that shows pretty well how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBMzauMOg3M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

The filter is one of the accessories for the T that really works. Make sure it has the magnet also. The magnet will remove the small amounts of metal as the engine wears. In my opinion it is worth every cent it costs...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, July 03, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

One of those milk strainer pads we had on the farm would work very good. Maybe Dean Yoder has a source for them but I didn't see any cows there when I was there last.

A magnet is very good too. I know some Montana 500 racers use a filter medium on top of that screen.

Very good idea, what do you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 01:03 am:

The screens I got at Chaffin's came with a really strong magnet. After an engine rebuild it picks up a lot of metal debris. With each oil change after that it becomes less and less. Depending on the year of your hogshead you may have to do a little body work on the screen with a drift and hammer to make it fit.

You may have a misfit like this.

The hogshead has about two inches of space...

...but the screen as you receive it may need more than two inches.

If you have that situation, causing this kind of failure to fit, just mash the lower corners of the screen flat enough for it to lie down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 02:29 am:

It may take a bit of " you better fit or I will make you fit with a hammer and block of oak wood, but don't force it just get a bigger hammer. I think that Steve Jelf would agree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 03:23 am:

I got my screen from Macs which fitted perfectly but it only come with a tiny wee round magnet, less than your small finger nail, not sure if this is a price saving or there is a logic to using such a small magnet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:21 am:

I removed the cover on my Torpedo when I got it and found the wire from the clutch pack lying on top of the bands. A filter would have held it if it would have gotten in there. Someone had used a mechanics wire in to small of gauge. It has a filter now. I was lucky. Not crazy about dippers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:19 am:

I have a filter in my barn fresh 1912. I seem to have a lot of sludge in the filter. I clean it after every tour. Now this sludge is not harmful just slows down the oil return.

All in all it is a good investment and as I continue to use my car the sludge is less and less.

just sayin;

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:30 am:

Thanks everyone for responding to my questions with all of your experiences with the filter. Steve you are the man, a picture is worth a thousand words! I'll have one on order Monday to install before I close up this engine.
Donnie any work on the Reliable Dayton this summer? I plan to start the build on the body of my 1907 when I finish the work on this 1926.
Happy 4th of July everyone, and be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:37 am:

You can run to Harbor Freight and for about $2 you can buy those larger brick-like size magnets and use them on the screen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:44 am:

Recommended. You never know what might show up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Steve, Not much work on the Reliable Dayton. (or anything else) Seems like everyday during the spring and summer, there is something someone wants me to do (vacation, ball games, reunions, mow the grass twice a week, ect ect ect) Not much shop time. Maybe this fall Ill get back to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 11:28 am:

There was an article about these strainers in the Vintage Ford, Volume 1, Number 4, Sept-Oct 1966, page 34. With drawings and info on making your own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

Ken, Are you able to scan that page onto here please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

I put one in last year. I just thought it may pick up any metal filings that may float in the oil. I opened it up this spring and it was perfectly clean. I change my oil about every 300 miles or every year. I use a detergent Quaker State 10-30. I figure it may be cheap insurance in diagnosing any problems before they become worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

I'm not sure you guys are using the correct terminology.

I would not call the aftermarket screens much of a filter. To me a filter is a medium that would remove much finer particles. I know some guys here use a fabric filter in their T's.

Calling that metal screen a filter is like using your screen door to filter the air in your furnace or AC.

If you don't have any kind of "filter" in you car get one. If you have that metal screen think of adding a piece of fabric filter and see how much stuff you really can filter out of your oil.

Just Saying

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 03:16 pm:

I have them on all my Ts (including the power unit). Am amazed at what turns up in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

The transmission filter screen is probably the best aftermarket accessory that really works.

A real dense oil filter in our modern cars probably wouldn't work as good in a non-pressurized oil system like the T has. If the holes in the accessory filter were much smaller or if you used a fine screen of some type it might not filter as well since the particles wouldn't be forced through it. But I'll bet that's debatable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

John, John, John,......you're just try'n to start trouble aren't you ?

Well, I'm better at that than you are! How about this:

I'll bet that those "particles" you speak of, WOULD be forced through the little holes if you added a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to your crankcase. How much to add,.....well,....that's debatable!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

The screen will catch the larger particles. The smaller ones if they are iron, will be caught by the magnet. Other small particles will probably not cause extensive damage.

I use them on all my T's. One time a bolt came out of the driven plate. Unfortunately it ruined the starter ring gear, but after the big bang, I continued to drive home. It seemed to be running fine. The starter wouldn't work. When I removed the transmission inspection plate, there was the bolt laying on the screen.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Transmission oil screen
Note: Highly recommended for all T's. This screen comes with a magnet that helps to filter out any small metal flakes in the oil. It fits under transmission cover door. Directs oil to bands and filters out dirt and lint. A necessary accessory for all Model T's
This from Lang's catalog. Don sorry I did not ask but today is the 4th of July and I guess you are not working.
And for those whom question it value don't BECAUSE it works as designed, and I have one on both my T's and would not be without them!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

I use one.

Best damn filter on the market for a T
It collects a lot of stuff.

Ok I am cheap but it works !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Here's the article

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Thank you Ken.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration