OT But Restoration Related

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT But Restoration Related
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 12:12 am:

My Maxwell radiator had a tab that holds the center hood rod on broken off. A well meaning friend said he could fix it no problem. When I got it back he had put a heavy steel strap inside the shell and not understanding the "C" shaped holes are to hold the leather hood welting on he mig welded them shut to hold the new hood rod holder on. I'd like to open these back up so I could re-use them to hold the leather on as original. Having ground mig welds in the past I realize I'm in for a tough job. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the best thing to grind, drill, Dremel or otherwise open these back up. Would carbide Dremel bits hold up long enough to open 4 of these or would I have to buy a fortunes worth? The shell is already mounted and painted and I'd like to NOT have to remove it again.
Thanks for any help,
Howard Dennisrad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Dremel #420 cutoff wheels come in a little plastic can, twenty to a can. Not terribly expensive. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to go with the carbide bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:27 am:

If you use the Dremel wheels, be sure to wear eye protection! Those wheels are brittle and can shatter, sending pieces flying.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration