Wanted to buy Smith Form A Truck Parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wanted to buy Smith Form A Truck Parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Shelton on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 06:19 am:

Wanted to buy Smith Form A Truck parts

Randy

313-805-0775

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 07:14 am:

Randy,

Since this is your first posting, welcome to the forum. Recommend you place your “wanted” item in the “Classified section” at: http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?3487/3487 as folks that are more serious about buying and selling will see it there but might miss it here.

If you are new to Ts you might also want to share what you are hoping to build etc. In general it is easier and less expensive to purchase a T that is relatively complete than it is to assemble one from various parts. The exception to that is if the parts are already in your garage or barn or you can get them for a really low price etc.

Caution, there were several companies that offered kits to convert Model T cars into Ton trucks. Smith is one of the better known ones. But as you are looking for parts you may find that somethings don’t line up well if you mix and match parts from several different aftermarket kits.

From the page 33 of the Jan-Feb 1992 “Vintage Ford” (used by permission):

by Edwin Hayslip

I used to think converting the Model T to a
chain driven truck was only a tiny blip in the
Model T saga. I had originally thought that only
Smith and perhaps a couple of other manufacturers
made-these conversions. After a little digging, I
discovered the following fifteen companies that offered
chain drive conversions for the Model T:

Baico
Champion
Dearborn
Graham Brothers
Maxfer
Mets
Motohaul
Oerton
Phenix
Redden
Smith Form-A-Truck
Ton-A-Ford
Tonford
Truckmobile
Union-Ford

For a discussion of the Smith Form-a-Truck please see the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/170128.html?1291412425

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:07 am:

Randy;
When you put your ad in the classifieds it would be helpful to list what parts you are looking for.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Stan Howe had one a couple years back but might have sold already. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Call Tom Carnegie At Ford-N-More in Spokane, He Has parts/truck he'd sell. 1-800-327-1469

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

And for what it is worth, we can add another name to the list of Form-a-truck kits. Jewett. Although at least two of these are known to survive, and advertisements have been shown, very little is really known about them. They apparently are not related directly to the Harry Jewett that ran the Paige Detroit Automobile Company that later became part of Graham Paige. That even though the Grahams of Graham Paige started out in automobile manufacturing by building form-a-truck kits for Fords and other cars. They later built trucks for and sold by Dodge Brothers. Just an interesting coincidence?
More research is needed.
Randy S, Welcome to the forum!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:16 am:

The Jewett was not connected to the Jewett automobile company. It was manufactured by the Jewett Railroad Car Company of Cleveland?? Ohio. It appears that most of those conversions were used by railroads. I discovered one in a pile of iron we had at an auction a couple years ago in Garrison, Montana, which was a major railroad connecting point for the Northern Pacific and Milwaukee Road. There were major switch yards there and from there on west the two ran side by side pretty much all the way to west of Missoula. We sold the Jewett conversion to a buyer from Bozeman who may or may not have sold it to someone from back east. It was very well built and used an enclosed gear differential instead of the chain drives of the Form a Truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Randy:
I have a chassis very much like the one pictured in the Stan Howe link above ...this chassis may have been a Mountian School Bus during it's working lifetime ...the entire chassis is painted yellow ...there is no remaining body work to determine origin or purpose ...engine # was in low 15 million range ...the full car chassis in front is the late type ...a rear section of car chassis is at the rear of the form a truck frame also ...the rear axel is a SHAFT drive type NOT chain driven ( probably in the 1 ton range )...I will have my daughter post pictures of this chassis on Monday ...I had purchased for the engine/trans unit ...the rest is for sale cheap ($300)...I will also call you this evening ...always an optimist ...gene French 970-581-2808

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Shelton on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 05:33 am:

For the kit I am missing parts for the axle housing upper and lower casting. I loaned my other Smith Form A truck to the Ford Piquette Plant for a Semi Tractor Display

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration