Transmission advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Transmission advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

Looking for advice on getting a transmission rebuild or purchasing a rebuild one. This is off an 11 engine. Almost everything is worn and scored. Bushing were so loose it would stall the engine if left at an idle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

You can probably save the flywheel and magnets, but from your description it seems likely the drums are probably cracked and the gears worn out. You are going to need a lot of new, expensive parts...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

A lot of guys like the SBC with a TH400.

Of course, that automatically makes your T a 23. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

I'd look into installing a later Model T flywheel that you can mount a ring gear on. Sometime in the future, someone might want/need to add a starter. I have that on my '14 and '15 with the original non-starter transmission covers. They can be removed and a starter hogshead added without too much difficulty.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Jason, I have no way of knowing how sophisticated you are re the mechanical aspects of a Model T so forgive me if over or under assume your level of knowledge.
The engine must be pulled. The trans shaft must be connected to the crank and flywheel to minimize run out of the shaft and flywheel. The drums and gears should be rebushed to the proper clearance and new pins installed. The flywheel and drums should be dynamically balanced for a smooth operation. All this and probably a few dozen small items that need to addressed.
I personally would not trust buying a "rebuilt" transmission from anyone. If I did, I would tear it down to check everything. You need to do that anyway to align the trans shaft to the crank.
If you have your own transmission rebuilt, you must find someone who will assemble it to your engine with all necessary alignment and adjustments. AND install it in the crankcase with the trans cover. There is an excellent website that describes in detail one method of aligning the trans shaft to the crank if you're interested. Its on the Tulsa Chapter of the MTFCA website. If I weren't loaded down with my own projects, I'd offer to do yours.
Best of luck,
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:15 am:

Well the transmission is apart there is quite a bit of play. Almost everything is loose. The reason I was about a rebuilt is because Langs offer them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:19 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 09:30 am:

Couple things I see. The trans is later. The rear bushing in the brake drum is totally missing. The scoring on the brake drum lugs doesn't look too bad. Trans shaft has a lot of scoring though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Most of the parts in the pictures should not be re - used. You should look for a better core or just buy a rebuilt one outright from Langs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Royce that was my thought exactly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason macintyre on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Royce that was my thought exactly

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration