Question for the really old timers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question for the really old timers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

What paint colors were or likely used in the
10-30"s for race cars? black and rust I'm sure were a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Then as now race cars were painted in bright colors. This is the White "Whistling Willy" race car on a rare colorized post card of Dallas Texas' Fair Park race track in 1909. The White race car was pink with yellow wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

Indianapolis race first winner Marmon of Ray Harroun:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Royce - Speaking of Indy, I think this has sort of "gone by the wayside" in recent years, but historically, any color EXCEPT green was fine. Most Indianapolis drivers were very superstitious and green was definitely "taboo" for a long, long time. I think that all changed however with the advent of Jimmy Clark's Lotus, which was green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

Another taboo, don't be caught eating peanuts anywhere near a race car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:00 am:

My original 1920's dual overhead cam "Fronty" race car "The Riverside Special" was painted a brindle brown. The lettering was black. I sold this car to Speedy Bill, and it is now on display at the race car museum in Lincoln Nebraska.

I thought this was a perfect color for a race car. Not garish, just a business like color for a very special car. The Riverside Special was a really well crafted car and has lots of interesting features, that would look very nice in a recreation. In particular the wood slatted floor. I suggest if you are interested in a accurate recreation check this car out.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

You mean Chris Egsgard's/Ron Kipling's "original 1920's dual overhead cam Fronty race car" ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

thank you for the info. To build accurate, that is the way I roll.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

When Ron (on right) purchased the "Riverside Special" from Chris (on left) many, many years ago ! Ask me about "The Rest of the Story" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

Steve,

Can you relate "The Rest of the Story" in mixed company for the world to read?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

Nope !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

For those who never met Chris, that is Chris Eggsgard, aka Billy Poobah.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration