Model T folding Top - Video

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T folding Top - Video
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart Graham on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

Happy 4th of July from the other side of the pond. This might seem a strange request but does anyone have a link to a video (Youtube etc) of a model T 4 seat tourer's one man hood being put up and taken down that they could share? Either with or without the top material on. I'm trying to work out how the mechanism actually operates.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Stuart,

Be very careful with your fingers -- the top can pinch them and permanently injure them. Especially true if someone is moving the top and your fingers are not clear of the areas that will be pinched by the top. Somewhere I believe I read a note that the Ford employees did not like that top because of the injuries it caused at the factory. I might have remembered that incorrectly so if someone has a reference supporting that memory or correcting it, please let us know.

The below instructions are from the Aug 1922 Ford Service Bulletin:

Note the service bulletins are available hard copy or electronically from the vendors.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart Graham on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 03:43 am:

Many thanks for the warning Hap, Fingers have been duly warned. The guide you posted I have seen before and this is why I have been looking for a video to see a top (hood here in the UK) being put up. I am currently restoring a car which emulates the model T and in the process of working out the geometry of the folding mechanism for a top as the original had a 'tent pole' style top. My car is a 1954 Ford 103e Popular and was changed in the late 60's to look like the Dr Who car 'Bessie' by the Siva car company. Like many restorations, life gets in the way and it takes longer than anticipated. I have posted here a few times and the information received has been very helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stuart Graham on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 03:57 am:

A couple of pictures of my carmy carmy car1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 06:55 am:

Perhaps this will help:
top1
top2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:54 am:

If I'm correct, the service bulletin shows the first design of the top with no curve at the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

Larry,

That is correct. The bulletins were published Aug 1922.

Above note the difference in the 1924 Model T touring top where it meets the back curtain on the Shorpy photo from: http://www.shorpy.com/node/15206

Only the fist 100,000 or so one-man tops on the early 1923 style cars produced in 1922 had the top material cut straight the entire length back. After that there was a curve at the back.

Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc22.htm NOV 7, 1922 Acc. 78, Box 47-49, Ford Archives
One-man top restyled; now had gentle curve down at the rear bow. This change made "after first 100,000 cars."

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration