Finally found a tow vehicle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Finally found a tow vehicle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

A few months ago I asked what vehicle would make a good tow vehicle.

My son finally talked me into getting a 2003 Chevy 4x4 Silverado extended cab PU LS with a few miles.
The rocker panels have been replaced and it looks great.
It has a tow package and spray in bed liner.

One of the first things my son did was change all the brake lines. Next he began spraying the bottom with oil. I think it was WD-40 or marvel mystery oil.

Now he is talking about building a trailer.
Every time he gets one of these ideas it cost me money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

A bit of rust, is there? Glad I don't have to deal with salt on the roads any more.

WD-40? MMO? He should have just sprayed the bottom with gasoline or paint thinner. It would accomplish the same thing and would have been cheaper. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

Rust is the state color in the north east

I am told that If you don't like the color move to a dry climate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Years ago we were visiting my wife's uncle in Florida. He remarked that whenever you see a rusted vehicle down there, it'll have Michigan license plates on it. Come on, I said, I'll bet that's not always so......... Next light we stopped at, a rusted car pulled alongside and guess what? It had Michigan plates on it all right!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:25 am:

Congrats on the new purchase. Motor oil coating works good, save your used oil and it will be free.

I for one will try my darndest not to buy a vehicle from the northeast again. My current truck came from South Jersey and it is fairly clean compared to something here in NY. I will go still more south the next time though. My friend has two 70's cars from Florida that I work on for him and everything comes apart with hand tools. Repaints were all that was needed on those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:36 am:

My 1997 Chevrolet Silverado Supercab has no rust at all on it. But then again (like my Model T), it gets put to bed in October and doesn't emerge from the garage until late April. I think that's about the only way you can prevent rust around here. When I get a new F150 in spring we shall see how that survives the rigors of the roads around here as that will be my sole vehicle.

Once when I was visiting AZ I noticed a 70's vintage Jeep Wagoneer that wasn't crusty. I thought they all came with rust from the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 09:10 am:

I've always lived out west. It blows my mind how rusty cars get back east.
They rust pretty good on the wet side of the coastal mountains, but nothing
like they do when those clowns salt the #@! roads !

What puzzles me is that I've driven on snow my whole life and fail to see the
need for all this de-icing. Just learn to drive on it and it's nothing more than
a slow-you-down annoyance. Get up a little earlier and take your time going.

Easy-squeezy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Regarding rusted cars from the northeast. It once occurred to me that I could run a thriving business by buying up nice, shiny bumpers in Arizona and transporting them to Michigan for sale, then returning with a load of good condition windshields to sell to Arizonans for replacement of their sand pitted originals.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Out west it is said that a rust-free eastern car is one where you cannot see all four wheels standing in one position. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration