12th Annual 4th of July Tour and Potluck Picnic

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 12th Annual 4th of July Tour and Potluck Picnic
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

We had great weather and great turnout for our tour today.. 20 cars showed up and the potluck picnic buffet left everyone fat and happy. I hope you all enjoyed your 4th of July.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116176319175044445264/July42015?authkey=Gv1sRgCKWP- bn6uOOBeg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

Weren't any tours around, but I like the idea of a potluck day tour. Maybe one of our groups will try it next year. I'll have to suggest it! So I took Clarabelle to a really nice car show about an hour south of me, a combined car, truck, and airplane show. What a great time. Bunches of people taking bunches of pics of my car, hundreds of questions. Couple of Asian girls couldn't take enough pics and ask enough questions. The car went home with a plaque for "top 30". Fun day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

I like the Stearman. I took a ride in one at an airshow back in 1988. It was my first experience with flight. It inspired my to earn a commercial pilot license. Five years after that Stearman ride, I landed a job as a corporate pilot, flying a Cessna 182RG for a construction company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Eric, I loved flying the 182RG. That airplane, even on the warmest of days, would climb 1000 fpm while hauling everything you could close the doors around.

A sturdy, forgiving, wonderful airplane for certain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Eric - Are those manifold cookers on the picnic table? If so, looks like the "cooking" for that picnic was sort of a "club project"! If so, a pretty neat "project" I'd say! At any rate, sure looks like it was a fun day,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Harold,
Yes, there are four manifold cookers. We had nearly fifty people show up for the tour, so one cooker wouldn't cook all the hot dogs. We ended up filling three manifold cookers with hot dogs and one tour participant brought a cooker full of baked beans.

It's always worked out well to have this tour as a potluck picnic. I just find tour route that includes a scenic park with a covered pavilion and the tour guests do the rest. Of course, I always give a little talk about freedom and the American Experiment, but I keep it short and politically neutral. Yesterday, I shared the story of Paralympic medalist Oksana Masters, a young woman embracing the freedom of opportunity that America still offers to those willing to embrace it.

This year, we toured some scenic back roads and did the Wilderness Drive at the Sherburne Wildlife Refuge before stopping for lunch at a little park right on the banks of the Mississippi River. After lunch, we toured for another hour before our traditional last stop at my place for root beer floats.

I started doing the tour on the fourth, back when I was working for a construction company and it was one of the only days during the summer that I was sure that I wouldn't have to work. Twelve years later, it's a club favorite. I'll keep doing it as long as I get five cars to show up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Eric - Yep! A fun day for sure! And I like the sort of thing that you did, which is a little "reminder" that there is a lot more to The 4th of July than beer and explosive devices, right? Hot dogs, Model "T" Fords and Old Glory make a much better combination. (Oh, and a stop somewhere enroute home for ice cream doesn't hurt either!) I think that more and more nowadays, many people need a little "reminder" like the "little talk" you provided to help people remember how much we've got, how we got it, and what it takes to keep it! Only trouble is, those folks you were talking to yesterday are not the ones that need to hear it! Hope your annual tour on the 4th goes on 'till you're old and gray like me,......harold

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration