OT - Running in the K 6-40

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Running in the K 6-40
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

The K is home in Nebraska, time to begin sorting out. First I put it up on blocks, and ran it at different engine speeds for one and a half hours:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qxbYVy9L8hk

Checking engine temperature, the top of the cylinders (non valve side) were initially around 200 degrees:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IHiSLexttHw

The second time, 40 minutes into running, temps were 170-180:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-upload_owner&v=CyiDhAGd7TM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

Congratulations on getting it back home. Good to see last week at Lincoln.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

Rob,

She sure sounds good.
Does the commutator always wobble like that?

You should be ready for some shakedown running soon.
Keep us updated.

Thanks Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

John, I had hoped to have the K ready for the reunion, but we were a little behind schedule. It was great seeing you and several " speedster types " on Thursday.

Larry, yes, to a degree. I think new bushings will be in order. The design is simple and works well, with a perpendicular shaft running the timer off the magneto shaft. At least the commutator is easy to service.

I'm finally getting it run in enough to crank start. Our other K had 55 lbs. of compression, and with a fresh rebuild I think this engine has more. We'll check it at some point this summer. I crank started several times today, and the link below is my "proof." Dave H., no need telling my doctor.....:-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IgTxWo2ARaI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

Getting some clothes on the old girl.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Oh that is looking good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

I think it's about perfect just like that :-)

Other equipment like fenders and headlamps can be added when it's raining or when driving in the dark, but now it's time for some miles on the road :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

Great to see it coming together...Now lets see some longer videos of it on the road. Those little teaser videos are driving me crazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Thanks guys. Seth, we are ironing out bugs as we go, hope to have more video soon. I did touch 50 mph yesterday and there was plenty left.

This is the "look" we'll go with this year, the 1909 O2O pace car ran without fenders or rumble seat:

It's a lot easier to adjust and work on the car without fenders and aprons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

I don't see any headlights.

No driving off to the submarine races!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Rob,

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers I just enjoy your postings and remember when you posted the other K with the "Magnificent Seven" music as you drove about the local highways. I'm just living the pre T cars through you and the other owners of pre T's. I have Champaign taste and beer money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

It looks great without fenders, Rob. And the pic of the pace car for the '09 race gives it provenance for that look. But you'll need to find yourself a big wooden box to put on the running board. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Rob - When you write that book with all the facts and previously uncovered information about Ford Model K's, I could see a cover picture on the book of you recreating the picture you posted above of the K pilot car for the 1909 New York to Seattle race. Find yourself a couple of hats and raincoats like those in the picture.....

It would look great!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Yup,At the OCF!!~ Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Headlights

extra pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

I'll begin at the top (of this part of the thread).

Dave, we'll soon have working acetylene headlights, and will look very much like the O2O K. The pics you posted of the Model K in Minden Nebraska are actually of a 1906 K (before the 1907 Roadster was produced) converted to a speedster/roadster at some point. That same car led the O2O re-creation in 1959 from New York.

Dennis, I was in no way ruffled or offended. I always enjoy your posts and unique sense of humor. Drive on.......
I look forward to taking more video as we have the car on the road. It's been my experience that it takes about two to three years for me to learn the idiosyncrasies of a car and have it functional and roadworthy, and I think we're on pace with this car.

Mike, thanks. The box on the running board is the battery box (original equipment). I've seen period pics with it on the right or left running board. Our battery was encased in a frame under the floor boards and we kept it there, although we may make a battery box at some point.

The men in the original pic were interesting. The passenger, Robert Gerrie, was an official with the auto club that sponsored the race. The driver, F. W. Teves, was a Ford dealer from Brooklyn who specialized in Model K sales from 1906 on. Since Henry Ford and several Ford officials were in attendance at the beginning of the race, and this Model K was driven by a Ford dealer, I personally suspect a Model K was chosen as the pilot car with Henry Ford's blessing. Kind of a passing of the torch? Considering the number of 1909 cars available, and the high profile coverage this race generated, I consider it remarkable that a discontinued model (Ford K) was chosen as the pilot car. To put it in perspective, the pathfinder car used for this race (car that determined the route before the race was run) was the Thomas Flyer that had won the New York to Paris race the year before. This was a high profile event.

Keith, if I am able to pit a book together, the Ocean To Ocean K deserves mention, maybe even a chapter.

Bud, see you in Dearborn..... :-)

Thanks guys for your interest and comments,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

More progress. About one hundred miles on now (guessing around 13 mpg, no speedometer yet).

To Denny Seth,
This happened once before, and I apologized profusely then too. I was reading and typing without thinking, and answered above as "Seth." My brain was thinking "Seth in Ohio" while I was reading "Dennis Seth." I would almost never refer to someone, and certainly not answer a person in writing using their last name only. Again, I apologize, I thought I was answering "Seth," not "Denny."

I weighed the K today. With a full tank, and a few tools, 2,430 pounds. The K touring weighed 2900 without the top. I suspect fenders, aprons and lights will bring it to about 2500 lbs.

In front of our house yesterday:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

Rob

Inquiring minds would like to know... Why isn't the brass polished?

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Here is a K roadster.

K

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Tim -- Holly has been busy tending to her horses. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

Ah, but those 40 horses are beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

Mike

Thanks for clearing my question. I suppose I should have been able to figure it on my own. But no one has ever a. Used me of being very smart.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

Hey Tim, the planes fly every day from the east coast to Milford, Nebraska; you could grab a rag and your polish and have an excuse to go to Nebraska for a day or two and slick it up!

You going to Minnesota? I wonder when all three of the K's will be together for the first time? Yours, Rob's roadster and Rob's former touring. I want to see that.

I wish I had a picture of me kneeling on the running board of his touring blowing in the gas tank to try to get fuel to the Buffalo to get it to run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Here is a photo postcard of one. For sale on eBay right now by autolit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 01:22 am:

Stan

If the stars align......and interested parties hold their mouths just so.....three Model Ks could make an appearance in Minnesota and or Michigan in August and or September. It's likely been a great many years since three Model Ks were side by each.

Time will tell....

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 01:25 am:

Robert

Unfortunately, the car depicted in the photo you mention is not a Model K Ford. I don't know what it is.....but it's not a Model K.

Nevertheless, thanks for calling it to out attention.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

Tim, I'll have my people get on it (brass):

Darel, that is C. H. Wills, and I presume his first wife (married 1907-1913 the first time). I also presume these are his or her parents in the same K Roadster. The rumble seat is removed and you can just see the trunk straps laying on the rear deck:

Photo courtesy of THF, all rights apply.

Stan, yes, the airport in west Lincoln is only 15 miles from our house. I'll pick up any brass polishers who wish to fly in. :-)

If we're lucky, we could have as many as five Model K at the Old Car Festival. The three mentioned, one from THF museum, and another from another museum. However, it will take some luck and lobbying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Rob,

Don't apologize for calling me Seth. It dosn't bother me at all, I've been called a lot of other names too and some of them I can't print on the forum. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

He called me Dean. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

And Dean's still mad at me....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

I'm the oldest of seven kids, six of them boys. When my dad was mad at one of us, he would go through the whole list of names before he hit on the right one! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

You can call me anything except late for dinner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Wayne, that reminds me, when are you going to join us in Minnesota at New London to New Brighton? None of us are getting any younger, maybe next year you could pick up Stan on the way and be an honored guest?

Just sayin...... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 11:02 am:

I want one. Too cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

Rob,

Any more progress to report? Photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Dennis
Look at the OT- the road to New London....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Friday, July 17, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

rk

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration