Totally OT. History of dating

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Totally OT. History of dating
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

I respect the wide variety of knowledge of this group, most of who enjoys history and trivia and just know there is a retired history professor out there who can answer a question I have been thinking about:

Our current way of determining dates and years has, for the last 2000 or so years, been based upon one history changing event... The birth of Christ, so that anything that has occurred, after his birth is referred to as AD and anything that has occured before his birth is referred to as BC. Mankind and many relatively advanced civilizations such as the Chinese, Egyptians, Greeks and Romans have been coming and going for the last 5000 years of recorded history and thousands of years before that, of pre-history. My question is this. Before our current system, which is based on the birth of Christ, what event, prior to the birth of Christ, did civilizations, base their calendar and the passing of years, on so as to be able to determine the year in which important events occurred? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 09:05 am:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_calendars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 09:13 am:

My old man based history on whether it was before or after they
had "those #@! kids".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

Thank you for looking that up Mark. Very interesting reading. I especially enjoyed the history of the Julian Calendar and what the names of the months used to be before Julius Caesar changed the calendar to what we knows it as today. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

Without reference to the net, I recall from school that the Romans counted their years EX URBIS CONDITA (from the founding of the city). No, I'm not shouting. That's how the Romans wrote. In ancient times it was common to count time by dynasties or the reigns of kings, as in the fourteenth year of the reign of Whoopsydoodle. You had to know your kings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 12:52 am:

Oh crap I thought you were talking about my dating history before I was married

I will not go there . Period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 01:30 am:

I won't either, Fred! My wife might sneak a peek. LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 06:38 am:

Steve:

So, when was lower case invented? Did the Romans invent it? Or was it by Dewey ( Dewey Decimal)in order to use the Roman Numeral system for non-integer arithmetic? :-) jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:01 am:

That posting title immediately brought me back to my first girlfriend!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:11 am:

Helping Steve with a link on lower case history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_case#History

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

10 rules for dating my daughter.

dating

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 09:59 am:

I think the first "dating" done during prehistoric times consisted of beating up the other cavemen and pounding your chest while saying "UG" to the female of choice.IF she did not respond to the "ug" and start following you to your cave you grabbed a hand full of hair and dragged her to the cave and supplied dead animals for meat to cook and kept other cavemen scared away with your loud and aggressive "UG"'s hollered out the cave entrance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 11:47 am:

James,
Thanks for recognizing my cousin (yes we ARE related!), but I doubt he invented the lowercase--just used it!
My theory about upper case roman use was that it was easier to chisel into the marble on buildings, note that almost all of the upper case letters are straight lines, and the Romans did U as V on their buildings.
Now back to dating rules. . . .the male-female type! (or female-female & male-male, just to be non-judgmental!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

My car is +/- 75 years old. How do I know? Well I bought the car last year from a gentlemen who was 85 years old. He bought it when he was 30. At the time he bought it, he bought it from a man who was 45. The 45 year old bought it when he was 26. He bought the car the dealership that opened two years earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Mine just looks old and the dealership no longer carries parts for it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

I have a piece of paper from the current government saying that my T is a 1919 so it has to be a 1919.
After all the current government is right, even when they are wrong.

I also have a piece of paper from from 1919 where the government says that it is a 1919 and Dennis said that it is a 1919.
So - It may be strange - the current government is right in this case.
Hey even a blind pig will route up an acorn once in a awhile.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration