Heat Pipe During The Summer?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Heat Pipe During The Summer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

Last year i tried running without the heat pipe during the summer without great results. Today after lots of adjustments i made over the winter i decided to try it again, and it ran absolutely great. What is the consensus here on running the pipe? Do you leave it on year round, or do you take it off in the warmer weather? Today it was in the 80's and a little humid and the intake was only slightly cold on the bottom with a little condensation on the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Leave it on all year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:02 am:

Never had one on either of my T's. I recon the weather in Australia is hot enough!!
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:14 am:

Never had one on my car. Car is run between -5c and 40c and never had any problems.
Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:32 am:

I will just keep mine on. Plus i'll probably lose it if I take it off and go to look for it come the colder months. I don't like the condensation build up on the intake no matter how it runs personally.

Just curious, you should do a back to back test now that you have all your adjustments made put it back on to see if it runs better or worse. Every car is different, just got to see what it likes best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 08:37 am:

I leave mine on all year, no issues so far. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Took mine off of my '16 when someone posted a dyno result that showed it reduced the engine output by two horsepower. No issues since.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

I live in Fla, so no heat pipe ever. Only issue is frost developing on the intake on the 1 or 2 days a year it gets cold enough for that sort of thing :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

Fall, winter and spring ON, summer OFF with stock carb and intake. The Stromberg L-1 with Zenith intake I have on now, have not needed it yet.
I have noticed with the stock setup, when it does get hot and air dries out it runs better with it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Never, summer or winter. It's hot enough under the hood of my '13 that I never get any sign of carburetor ice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist- New Zealand on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 12:29 am:

Never use one . Heated air is lighter than non heated air (hence a hot air balloon rises) That is there is less of it in a given space. If you have bad gas like they did in the day preheating the air helps with combustion. With good gas (mostly today) heating the air just means less air actually goes in and less air means less power- 2hp doesn't sound much but it is 10% on a Model T -Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 12:45 am:

Heat pipe?

We have enough heat in Nh --
It was 85 today and we had to turn the AC on before we died.
I hope this heat wave goes away!

OH I have a heat pipe for my T but it is in the parts bin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 01:57 am:

I tried my car without, drove over to Martin Vowells place in the hot,dry SanFernando Valley.
Intake neck was dripping with sweat Car wasn't running at it's best. Mart and I thru it back on and it was back to normal(great).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:07 am:

Half my cars have 'em, half don't. (Obviously, or they ALL would, right? LOL) Usually don't see any difference, but there was one day where I didn't let the engine warm up enough that didn't have the pipe and ran pretty rough for a bit. I'm reasonably sure it was a frosted intake, as it was quite cool and very humid with the temp just barely above the dew point. About a half hour it ran fine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration