Had a flat tire on the 4th

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Had a flat tire on the 4th
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:54 am:

My 1926 Tudor suffered a flat tire yesterday. Turns out it was a stem leak. The rim I have has a stem hole that looks like it was just punched into the rim.

The stem was jammed into this hole and I had to cut the stem off to get the tube out. The stem on the tube is tapered, being rather thick at the bottom where it fits in the rim. I was thinking of grinding out this hole and camfering the edge so the stem can be removed easier next time. The question is would it be a problem if I made the hole larger that the stem or should I just open the rim hole up a little. I was thinking that if the hole was too large the tube and stem may move around in the tire and create another stem leak. Whereas if the hole is just opened up a bit the stem could not move as much. Ideas? Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

An original type all-metal stem will fit that hole fine. Those tubes are more expensive and sometimes harder to find than the tubes with the rubber stems. I have rims with those small punched holes and some with larger holes that may be original or may have been drilled, I don't know. If your stem is straight through the hole, it won't move when the tire is fully inflated. Low inflation is what allows the stem to move and be cut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

On the tubes with the thick valve stem, I whittle it down some to fit the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Well..... I got the stem to fit and after getting the tube and tire on the rim without pinching the tube, the rim latch popped off.

After removing the tire, tube and flap, can I just tack weld this back in and grind off the hump, to make this work?
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

Yes. Maybe use more than a tack weld though. I've done that before and it works good.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

Hey, Keith, long time no see. Yeah, I suppose I'll grind a fillet so the weld will sit in the rim some. I think, I'm giving up for today. Seems no matter what I do today it breaks or gets lost. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Mike, good insurance can be had by welding the latch from the outside too. If you drill a couple of 5/16" holes either side of where the slots are, you can then fill the hole with a solid mig weld. Done well, you won't even have to grind the welds.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

Allan, that is what I did. I'm not the best welder, but can generally get by. I welded and ground down those welds on the inside.

And I laid a weld on the top sides of the latch.

As far as the stem hole goes, it was about 1/2" in diameter. I drilled it to 9/16" and the stem easily fits both in and out. After smoothing the edges I painted it. Now to wait for it to dry and the tire will go back on. Thanks
Mike

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration