More 16 pics running great!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: More 16 pics running great!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

I was trying to show the rear arm rest on left is fabric on right leather! fronts are leather my uncle got a kick out of T! he moved it up and back in driveway. it sure runs and drives good a lot more fun to drive than a model A!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

I second that. My Model A has sat a lot this summer since I got the 17 touring. Much more fun with the T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Paul is my favorite poster! Now, all we need is a picture of Paul in the front seat. Do you have the horn button assy? Not too hard of an item to find. It also appears the upholstery soaked up the solution you made. Judging from the notches, and other things, I'd say your car has very few miles on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

Paul... That car is a GEM! Don't change a thing on it... drive it and have a blast. People will love to see it in it's vintage dress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Wow! The more pictures I see of that car? The more I like it!
Thank you so much for sharing all these with us!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy that treasure! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Thank you guys I'm really enjoying this car! Here is some more pics I got the new door check straps on the originals are cracked to bad to use. I want to fix the tail lite bracket can anyone tell where it is bent? I still have to glue steering wheel it sure is fun to drive!Roof leaked 50 years agoDentWhat are holes for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Paul

Very nice original. Looks good the way it is!

As for the tail lamp bracket, that is a casting so be cautious on bending, don't use a torch to heat red, it will break.

Maybe just the mounting bolts are hanging loose / bent or missing in the rear wood sill. Check that first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Paul -- The very first (front) roll of each armrest is leather. The rest of the upholstery is "imitation leather" (fabric coated with vinyl or plastic of some kind).

If it were my car, I'd run the seats as long as they are holding together. But the top is so far gone, I'd consider replacing it. I'd take the complete car to Elizabeth at Classtique Upholstery in Minnesota, so she could study your original top and be sure the replacement is accurate. I expect she'd be interested in studying the details of an original one. And I'd let her crew install the new top. They're good at it.

Does your top have a steel strip around the bottom edge of it where it attaches to the body? That's the way they were made originally. If yours doesn't have that strip, it's a good indication that the top has been replaced at some time.

I don't think I'd replace that rusted-out splash shield either. It's part of the car's character and an honest indication of the car's age and "experience.".

Thanks for continuing to post pictures of your wonderful car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Larry the glyecerin I put on the seats is I think the only reason they are still together not to say the fabric is perfect but at least it is better than it was time will tell! the top is worse I have not done anything with it yet. can anybody tell me what the holes in coil box cover are for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Paul -- Your last pics loaded while I was typing. The bracket appears to be securely bolted to the body. Apparently someone stood on the license plate part of it and twisted the shaft of it. If it's a casting, as Dan said, it probably would have broken, rather than twisting. Maybe it's a forging?

At any rate, I have an extra tail lamp bracket I can send you to use as a pattern for straightening or re-bending yours. I don't have the license plate part of it, but it just sticks out straight to the right from the piece which holds the lamp.

Would you mind opening the lenses of your lamps and taking pics of their insides? I know what I expect to see in there, but I'd like to have it verified since your car is so original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Mike

I had an early bracket that was bent as bad as that one. Used heat to red, then forced back the bend and the bracket rod broke, rough casting inside, not a forging.

The Ford original is tough Ford malleable iron, it got bent to begin with, so I would 'try' to bend it back straight cold, and careful.

Remove it from the body first, the bracket appears racked, and also bent down and curved in the license plate area.

IMO, buy a new repo, they are good. Then save that original and put it back under the rear seat, for future hunters of original parts!

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3660C.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Just thinking again about the fine original T.

No removing and keeping that bent license bracket on your T would be a fun story.

Back in the day the owner asked Junior to go back and clear the dust off the rear windows of the top. Little Junior did as Papa said.

Standing on the license plate bracket he could reach up with the cloth and clear the rear window.
Only jumping down Junior realized he had bent down the rear lamp!

From then on he always lit that rear lamp, never let Papa know what he did. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

Mike the armrests in front are leather right rear is leather left is fabric I don't think it's ever been changed. The top does have a strip that holds it to body.Dan and Mike I can't see were tail lite bracket is bent lite has cotter pin and does not look like it has ever been off it is tight. And I have no plans to fix the rust hole the car is what it is it's as clean as its goin to get also I will keep it oiled up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

I think I will leave the tail lite alone it is solid its not goin anywere it doesent bother me. I will try to make car as reliable as I can. I want to fix steering wheel. Larry I havent found a horn button yet I am going to leave the bulb horn on also it works good! and Mike I will think about a new top with my bald head a top is nice to have. my uncle said nobody put the tops down in the old days my uncle has a 28 A that the top has never been folded but it has a lot of patches and repairs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Check with Bob's Antique Auto Parts in Loves Park. You're not that far away being in Freeport and you might find he has some stuff you need or great advice on how to preserve what you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

I agree with Mike...some, but if it were me I'd find another splash shield in similar condition with no rust, and use it. I love your car. BTW, is the coilbox switch hard rubber, with a steel plate? Keep the pictures coming! You are far better at it than I am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Paul -- Thanks for the inside-the-lamp pic. That's what I thought it'd look like.

And you're right, a top provides some nice shade in the summertime, especially for those of us who are hair-challenged. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Kevin Bobs is were I got all my parts I have to go back an get a water pipe and some more things soon. Larry it does have a steel plate on switch and it looks like hard rubber. From what I can tell only thing that's been done to car is left front wheel bearing was beat on .gas tank has been soldered.cut out added it had a break lite on left fender switch is still there and mag horn replaced with bulb horn. the story the guy told my dad was he bought it new put 1500 miles on it and bought a new 24 Chevy it don't even leak oil! Or water! So far! My plans are to leave it alone as much as possible a top makes a lot of sence or a boot at least. But it sure is fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

We can say all we want about restoring a "T", but that car should not even be washed. It would change the patina and that is what we look for.
thumbs on that car!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Paul:

Any pictures of the very front end of the car? I am interested to see if your car has the pointy leaf spring on the front as many of the 16's have. It is about the only thing I know of that was unique for the 1916 model but only early ones had them and apparently not all of them did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Paul, I believe the tail light bracket is a steel forging, and heat will let you get it back into shape. As others said, had it been a casting, it would have broken with that much of a bend. Most of the repro brackets are cast, and these will break. If you are worried, a judicious touch with a file on the body side of the mounting should allay any fears.

I could be wrong.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Paul

Your tail lamp bracket is cast malleable iron, bend cold if you wish. But IMO, leave it alone, part of the character of your Ford.

Sure looks not like a backup accident, sure seems to be bend down by someone standing on it with a heavy foot for some reason.

Seems to have 2 bends, one is at the terminal of the straight post to the cup that holds the kerosene lamp, that bend twisted the cup and now the lamp is skewed. The 2nd bend is in the license holing bracket, you can see the two slots for the license plate screws are no longer in line.

Here is what it should look like, but this one is actually the later '15 style with rivet holding the long arm of the license holder to the cup portion. Yours is the '16 one-piece bracket, made of malleable iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

John is this the 16 spring? Thanks guys for all the info on tail lite bracket I think I will just leave it alone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

OK, I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but, what are the two items on the front cross member, either side of the front engine mount?
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

My guess, added to hold a front license plate?
Seems like rubber spacers to hold the plate away from the spring clip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 05:52 pm:

Rob I think you are looking at the license screws thay are taped with rubber washers under screws I have looked at pics. Of other cars and have not seen any like those someone did a nice job that's what I think they are anyway! Headlites work good thanks to Mike Walker!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Glad the switch parts worked out for you, Paul.

Your front spring as the tapered-leaf style, like '15 and earlier. They changed to a different type during the '16 model year.

Dan -- I thought the two-piece riveted bracket as you pictured was the '16 model year style?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

Paul, you may have mentioned it in another thread, but I missed it, do you know when in the 1916 model year your car falls (early, late)?

Maybe Paul's early front spring is one of those "use up existing stocks before switching to a new design" cases. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Mark the eng. Date is 11-16-15 eng no 973687 the body tag on right floor 12.15.15380 i can't find any other body maker letters. I assume the car was assembled in Chicago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

Paul, I have a 1916 Touring as well, and it is very close in number to yours; cast date of 11/22/15 and engine number 984605.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 03:32 am:

We should start a club, my '16 is 999972, I'll have to look at the casting date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 05:21 am:

Thou shalt not cover thy neighbors' Model T ....

(In this case I think The Big Guy Upstairs would make an exception)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Looks like you can qualify to go on HCCA tours!
Keep those photos coming, you have a fantastic car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 12:09 am:

Yep, we have '16s that were made in '15, so we qualify!!!

Too Cool, no need to make them into fake '15s!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 12:23 am:

Paul:

As someone else stated you front spring is the typical 1915 spring since your car is dated only a short few days before the "pointy leaf" spring began. My son's 16 roadster has the pointy leaf spring and his was built on Christmas eve 12/24/15. They were used through 1916 but I think most restorers thought them to be an aftermarket spring and tossed them away. Warren Mortensen has one on his early '17 touring car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration