Anyone know what this intake is for?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Anyone know what this intake is for?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

I think it's an exhaust -- for the kitchen sink. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

It looks like something to convert the updraft to downdraft.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

I think it converts side draft to down draft or vice versa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

The lower flange does fit a Fronty single port head and in this position the carb. would be way above the hood. If flipped it would be low to possibly clear the stock steering? I don't think either application would work well with that long run and 2 bends. It might run OK but I think it would be a problem to start.

I really hoped someone would ID it as something else and it could be reunited to the proper car (like a Auburn or Cord!). I tried the kitchen sink but PVC works better.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Tim if the 180 degree sweep was hooked on to a 90 that was coming off the head facing up, with a side draft carb on the bottom I think it would fit nicely. That also would make it very close in length to the 17 inches Ed Winfield, Jim Cullinane and Humble Howard talked about. I believe it referred to the Himholtz (?) effect. I would not want to be hand cranking it to get it started.
Are you cleaning your shop today? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Are you sure that it's an intake manifold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:36 am:

Could be a water inlet/outlet pipe for another make early car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:47 am:

In the photo, at the top right just above the flange if it was turned to look sideways there is a drilled and threaded hole that I assume would be to prime (or a vacuum line).

John has an interesting thought as the bottom flange is ground out like a funnel but the top flange is flush. I don't know if this indicates that a carb. would go on the lower flange and I am not familiar with the "Himholtz effect" but that would make the assembly look sort of like the intake on the 2 up 2 down or the intakes that Mark makes for the new Rajo heads but only half of one.

Really I have no idea what it was made for, yes John I was sorting around in parts this weekend trying to clean up a little.

Any ideas on the valve cover photo I posted? I thought Aaron might recognize that. Another mystery part I can't throw in the scrap bin but have had it for years and don't know what it fits.

Thanks,

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

I think the AACA forum still has a "What-is-it" sub-forum. Might be a good place to post the photos?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration