Some Montana 500 footage.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Some Montana 500 footage.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

https://youtu.be/GQPQpQAsx6E

Day two, leg one, about 10 miles out of Harlowton.

Video shot by Bill Mullins, Jr.

Bill Mullins is passed by Nan Robison, She in turn passes Gary Yeager, as Rick Bonebright and Dan Lukowski battle it out farther up the road. Bill then passes Gary, Rick and Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

What are your speeds please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Thanks Tom and Bill, nice video and looks like fun. Saw all of you head west toward Livingston on Tuesday morning as I was heading to Lincoln Nebraska. It was fun seeing all of you headed down I-90.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Tyrone, about 55 mph. Note the GPS in Bill's car at the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 12:36 am:

Hey, Now that's what I call really fun driving in a Model T. You couldn't ask for a nicer road and day for a little T race between friends. hee hee

More people should attend this event. You will be amazed how a stock model will run for miles and miles of open roads.

Thanks for Posting!! I'm sick I wasn't there this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 01:33 am:

Thanks Tom for posting. Really interesting to hear the change in engine note as the car comes over the top of the rise and picks up speed over the other side. Would be great to watch the GPS and monitor the speed as the terrain changes. Beautiful scenery and nice wide quiet paved roads. Perfect for the event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 05:39 am:

That was great! Thank you Tom C for sharing it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 06:46 am:

Great video, I don't know how you guys hold the road so nice at that speed. Anytime I try to go above 40 my car is all over the road. A real white knuckles drive. Iv replaced everything in both the front end and rear, All new spokes, wheel bearing, spring bushing, tie rods and Apco parts all through . It still wanders at high speed. I must be doing something wrong. If I could build a car that would hold the road like those cars I would love to do something like that. Thank you Tom for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:27 am:

Great video!

Will, I think the most important adjustments for high speed stability are caster and toe in.
The caster or axle rake is easily tested:
rake
(picture by Dan Treace)
Ford recommended the toe in to be between 3/16" - 1/4".

My primitive pickup has OK caster and toe in and follows the road just fine at 50-53 mph - if the asphalt is smooth. On worn and patched roads I must drive much slower - and that's mostly because I haven't got any shock absorbers - yet.

Usually Montana 500 racers has shock absorbers, look at the telescope shocks on the "Rattle Can" '26 T that passes Bill Mullins late in the video.
I think I'll try finding some friction or knee action shocks that can be fitted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Thanks for the video Tom. I enjoyed seeing how fast those separated yellow highway lines are coming at you. What about brother Rick - the Eater of Crankshafts? You've previously said he DNF. Was it because of yet another broken 'shaft? And congratulations to Nan and Jillian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 09:43 am:

George, my brother reused the head off of the motor with the three piece crank. Apparently the head had been compromised and let go, allowing water into number three cylinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Roger The Rattle Can car did not pass me he tried several times it only made me go faster when he came along side me.Remember these cars were timed out before us so they already lost 2 or 3 minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

GREAT VIDEO.
I really like when the yellow car just blows by the others, like it isn't even part of the race.
But why does the roadster say 1926 tudor on the side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Aaron, it was a recycled sign from another tour.

Here is a real time Go-pro video of Mike passing Janet (sound effects added).

http://youtu.be/Ilh-ni61skA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 05:02 am:

Cute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 11:10 am:

I've got a bunch of dash cam video I recorded. When I have a couple hours to edit it down I'll get it posted to youtube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 05:36 am:

As promised http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX0r7WhaF7M&sns=em thanks for watching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 05:56 am:

That was fun to watch!!! Your car seems to run rather well (and then some!)!
Thank you for posting it!
Always drive carefully, but do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:56 am:

Thanks Mike for sharing. Awesome footage. 68mph!!!!! Cant wait to be part of it one day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:04 am:

That was fun to watch, Mike, Thanks for posting it.

It looks like you passed everyone but Miss Jillian, who passed you twice. I guess you were just being nice? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Mike- I was in second at the end of Day one, On the last Leg of day 2 I broke my camshaft, I was repassed by Dennis Powers, Jillian, Gary Ebbert, and Al Whiteside. Made it back in under my own power. I swapped camshafts in the parking lot that evening and was back on the road for the next morning. I wasn't as fast but I was still running. I was passed on day Three by, Dennis Powers, Nan Robison, Tom Carnegie, and Mike Stormo. When the final Results were announced Dennis had gained the minute and a half needed to take the second place position from me. My T went from a 54mph car to a 50 mph car. I built Jill's car, and have been trying to get her to win for some time now, I was sure last year she was going to win, but Mike Stormo was a minute and a half faster in the end. I pulled out a few more tricks for her car this year and she walked away with the win! I am extremely proud of her and her driving ability. I'm pretty sure I'm just as happy for her win as I was when I won.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Just curious, what was the theoretical maximum average speed possible if the speed limits were adhered to over the entire course?

Just trying to get a feel for how close the cars run to the theoretical limit. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

Mike - That's a great video. It's as close as most of us will get to riding with someone in the race. Thanks for posting it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Cress on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

Great video Mike! Thanks for taking the time to share it with all of us. Congratulations to all the competitors. Special congratulations to Jillian. It has been a long time coming, but I always knew if was just a matter of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Mark, We try to stay on roads with a max speed of 55mph and higher. Most hwy's in MT are 70mph in the day and the freeways are 75MPH. In Towns that we go through or, construction that doesn't have signals or flaggers we drop to the posted speed limit and proceed. We self patrol those zones with radar guns, to keep things fair. Jill's average speed was 54.5MPH well below the average speed of the course, which I'm sure is closer to 65 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Mike -- Congratulations again to Jillian, the winning driver, and to you, the car's builder. You both can be very proud of your accomplishments as a team.

And, by the way, I like the flames on your car. Flames look good on fast cars. Maybe you should paint some on Jill's car. It might raise her average speed by a couple of mph. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

2MPH :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Booth on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

Great video Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

Roger,
Two cars I can think of that Had lever arm shocks, in the rear only, were Jaguar XK120 and Volga, a.k.a. GAZ21. Don't know how they would adapt to a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Pearson on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 01:49 am:

Mike,

The video is awesome! I was there helping out but can not watch it enough. Completely enjoyed the event and was happy to contribute. I watched you change that cam and my hat is off to you! Looking forward to next year!
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:32 am:

mike , what are you running in your engine ?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:30 am:

That was fantastic, Mike - great job !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Its interesting to me watching these posts that after passing A T ahead it looks like some correcting of forward road centering by the T passing. The winner seems to have better control. I suspect the alignment and steering of the winner is a step ahead of the competition.

Living at the Oregon coast my four mile test track changes in speed by the tide change. More cross winds at the change pushing my T sideways slowing about five MPH from normal even though my front end is as tight as I can get it.

Thanks Tom, Mike, for the posts. GREAT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:33 am:

This video sort of captures the essence of the Montana 500. The speeded up parts kind of feel how it seems when you are doing it. That is, for me, time flies. A sixty mile leg gets over in no time. This video is also good to show how little traffic there is. You can go a whole leg and only see a half dozen or so cars going in the opposite direction. Also it shows changing fortunes. Mike passes me at 4:53 when my car is sick and I pass him at 6:00 when his car is sicker (mine was sicker too, but less sicker than his was sick).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration