Sediment bulb handle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Sediment bulb handle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Does anyone make new brass handles/tapered valves for the pre-'26 sediment bulbs? Most of the decent bulbs I find have the handle broken off. If no one is making them, someone should. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

I have repaired the broken handles with a 8-32 screw about 2 inches long. I just drill and tapped the remaining part. Not concours correct but functional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Russ Potter tried them once. The problem is the tapper in the sediment bowl body. If you ream it so the new handle fits good ,the cost is more than, I believe the replacement ones. Folks just won't pay for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Mike, I have made several new handles by using a piece of brass rod that I work down to the size of the original handle, I then drill a 1/8" hole in each piece to insert a brass dowel which all is then silver soldered in place. Once this is dressed up with a file and emery cloth no one will ever know the difference. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Sounds like a lot of work, Keith. :-) I'd rather be able to buy a new one, lap it, and put it into service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

Sediment bulbs don't go for much. Why not just buy another sediment bulb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 12:11 am:

And that's why you can't buy handles.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

Wonder why the sediment bulb supplier doesn't make replacement parts for them.
The bulbs cost around 60.00 dollars in the vendor catalogs.

They could sell the handles separate for about a third of the price of a new unit and still make money. But then again there may be an issue getting the taper fit to be correct so it would fit and not leak in the originals.

I believe I have 3-4 good bulbs in my parts buckets with broken handles.

Just thinking out loud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

I could well be wrong, but I believe that maker of the new bulbs uses a standard taper and not the original, so the handles would not interchange.

In addition, the early version of the "standard" sweet potato uses a different style handle than the later one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Not only that, but the earlier screw in screen cap is slightly different than the later Ford script one too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Does anyone know what the handle on a riveted and soldered on sediment bulb looked like on the tank that was on the 1911 or so tanks? Better yet do you have a photo?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration