Blown Muffler

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Blown Muffler
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Alternate title:

Sometimes more is not better

Puzzling situation…car has been working well until time to leave for the July 4th parade, & I backed it out of the garage and began backing up a slight incline when the engine died .(A 1915 non-starter touring Profile picture – yes, factory color on the wheels – start on Battery and switch to mag). I quickly released the pressure on the reverse pedal, and the engine sprang to life with a noticeable backfire.
Hmmm – that’s strange, thought I. Sometimes my big feet manage to engage two pedals at once, so I carefully tried it again, making sure that I was only working the reverse pedal. Same result – engine died…released the pedal, engine sprang back to life, accompanied by another backfire.
Strange…what’s going on…but I’m a slow learner, so I repeated the exercise a couple more times – engine died when I stepped on the reverse pedal and revived itself when I let up on it – BUT, the backfire was exceptionally loud.and this time the engine did quit.
At this point I’m aggravated, frustrated, and puzzled and wanting to go to the parade, so I again got out of the seat, crank started the car, but this time left the switch in BAT…and backed up without a problem, switched to MAG, drove to the parade and back home again without difficulty.
Fixed the problem today….All the folks who say that adding accessories makes for more problems are correct. When I purchased this auto, it came with many accessories – ammeter, speedo, clock, voltmeter, and several other “goodies”

Unfortunately, the wire to the voltmeter became lodged between the floorboards and the the engine head, and over time the insulation was worn away. It appears that as I was backing up, my left foot was working the reverse pedal, and my right foot was pressing against the floorboard, shorting the voltmeter wire against the head, consequently killing the engine.

Although too many goodies cause problems – before you ask – no, you can’t have them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 12:06 am:

Mine did that. Kinda embarrassing sometimes. Happened at the car wash, when it finally coughed it sounded like a snub nosed .357Mag. Everybody ducked and peered over their cars to see if it was safe.

Then I had it welded

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 12:34 am:

Fellows, I have a nearby sheet metal shop roll me up muffler shells in stainless steel. These will last forever. Being stainless, the folded seams are much tougher, and backfires do not blow them out.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 05:45 am:

BTDT didn't get a "T" shirt! Embarrassing to say the least. :-(

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration