The driver of the old Model T was a man enthroned.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The driver of the old Model T was a man enthroned.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 08:34 am:

Have any of the forum contributors read a 1936 article by E. B. White, Farewell, My Lovely!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Yes. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG74.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 09:49 am:

Thanks for that post Jeff.....inspirational!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Honestly I expected some sappy good bye Hallmark type thing. Nice surprise from a guy that obviously lived it. In John Steinbeck's Cannery Row there's a bit where the hobo's get a T running. It's entertaining and accurate as can be. There's also a scene in the movie East of Eden where a mechanic teaches a buyer how to start and drive a T. Also a good watch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 10:17 am:

I own a copy of that book. It was given to me in 1980 by my 4-H Woodworking project leader.

It was given to him by Floyd Clymer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Apparently East of Eden is Steinbeck too. Googled it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 10:41 am:

I printed that out Steve to put in my book of "T" things for people to read while looking at my car:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 10:45 am:

It's a great little book. I found my first copy in a used book store for fifty cents! Back then he was listed as Lee Strout White, and the article was originally published in the New Yorker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Steinbeck also wrote an homage to Model T titled "It".

It was published in the Ford Times in 1953.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

Steinbeck's attention to detail, particularly with vehicle mechanics, was great. I believe that there is a chapter in "Grapes of Wrath" where the family has a knocking rod in their truck that gets fixed by removing shims from the cap at the shop of a self-pitying, one eyed mechanic.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration