How to mount chrome radiator strip along bottom?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How to mount chrome radiator strip along bottom?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 11:59 am:

I am putting on the chrome radiator lower strip on my '27 Touring. It has small bendable tabs- if anyone has mounted this in the past, have you punched holes into the lower apron to affix the tabs?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

I am learning that the original aprons have slots cut into them- of course mine doesn't, has anyone successfully used an adhesive to hold it on? I am not sure cutting slots by hand will be neat enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Just don't do it like the guy that installed mine... he drilled holes and screwed it on:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

It's true that the original aprons had the slots in them, but I don't know about the reproductions. The better, more expensive ones may; but I know the cheaper ones, don't. The slots can be cut by carefully drilling a series of small holes and then using a file to open the slot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

James

Correct, the aprons for the nickel shell cars came with slots on the inner bead to mount the ears on the strip. The strip also has ears on the outer edges, and those fold down on the top edge of the apron.

Found this nice almost NOS strip, had most all its tabs, but missing the one near the choke pull hole. Needed the strip to not pull up when using the choke wire. So used the trusty favorite of any Model T mechanic.....JB Weld! Put a dab at the end to stick the strip fast.

Bet you could use JB Weld in spots on the strip that fit real tight to the apron bead and the strip will stay put.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Thanks, that may work just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

James, I don't know about JB weld. It is not something I have seen in Australia. My 'go to' adhesive in your situation would be black RTV silicone sealant. A healthy bead along the back of the trim piece and a little applied pressure to spread it and you are good to go. It would be best if you work on the piece first to get it to sit well on the apron. Any excess sealant squished out can be wiped off, and being black, it will not be noticed.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration