Black Champion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Black Champion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

While cleaning up my brass cap red Champion X spark plugs I came across this black lettered plug. It has no other markings on the porcelain; has anyone seen one like this before and can you tell me if it pre-dates the red ones?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Now that I see it, I'd say yes and no. It does predate the other plugs shown with it, which are a later version (crimped brass hat, ribbed insulator, 8-32 electrode thread, long base). It's an earlier plug (straight insulator, can be fully disassembled, 5-40 thread, short base). But I don't remember seeing the black label before. All mine have red. I hope somebody can tell us about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 01:44 pm:

Maybe ask these folks?

http://www.spcoa.net/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

The ones with black Champion lettering are the premium "Heavy Stone" plugs. They were made for many applications including the Model T. They were produced at the same time as the Champion X, and were available with brass tops slightly earlier than X plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

From a June 15, 2015 thread:

chart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

This one fits into the mix somewhere. We have had some great discussions on plugs. Maybe some ambitious sole will pull them all together some day. (Not Me.)

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

Rich

Your plug is Champion factory authorized plug for the Fordson Tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:44 am:

Thanks Dan.
This thread also talks about the "Champion Toledo".

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/352763.html?1365016363

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:59 am:

As explained earlier, the Model T "Champion X" was one of the last to receive a brass top, probably to save money since millions were made every year.

The Fordson tractor started on gasoline but could be operated on either gasoline or kerosene. It likely had a colder plug to try to lessen spark knock when running on kerosene. Will it work OK in a Model T? Try it and see. Our gasoline is far better than 1909 - 1927 gas. Spark plugs and valves last a lot longer now than they did when the cars were still being used as daily drivers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration