UHMW Tape: Uh-oh!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: UHMW Tape: Uh-oh!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

If that little bit is all that slips out, I'll just trim it off and it will be no big deal. If more happens it could be rather disappointing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Steve

Stay off those bumpy, rut-strewed gravel roads and that flyaway tape will be minimal. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

When you do get around to replacing that stuff, here is what Ford used.

Make your own mixture or buy it in a can. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

Steve,

I have had UHMW tape in my front and rear springs on my '16 since 2008 with no problems. Must be all of that "Flatland" driving you do <grin> :-) :-) :-).

Just keep it under 60 in the corners and you will be file :-).

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

I bought a quart of Slip Plate paint from Tractor Supply about 15 years ago. It has done about 5 Model T's and there is still a half a can left.

I paint the leaves, let it dry, assemble the spring and then wipe it down with MEK to remove the exposed slip plate before priming with DP-90, and then black enamel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

I do it the original way Dan suggested as well. Ive seen many instances of slip tape squeezing out of the leaves over time, and it is miserable to have to do the job twice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

I also use the graphite paint. It works. It sticks to the spring leaves. It won't come off. It can't slip out. I wouldn't use anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Slip plate is the way to go. I have done several cars and still have over a half of a quart can left.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration