Engine chugs in high gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Engine chugs in high gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

A few days ago my T started to make a clunk when shifting into high and the engine chugs and doesn't seem to smooth out unless I reduce the throttle to idle. The engine is a 1927. This morning I replaced the existing Anderson timer with a new Anderson timer and installed 4 Ron Patterson coils, but I still have the same problem. The car starts right up and idles great. Do I have a serious problem or something basic? Thanks in advance for any help Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Harvey does the engine lack power or seem sluggish when just sitting and revving the engine?
If it does it could be a slow or minimal fuel stream.

Lack of fuel or a stopped up fuel screen? Maybe a vacumne leak?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

John, It does seem sluggish, I'll check fuel flow. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

What you describe seems like fuel starved, maybe just rich up the carb.

Many times the needle valve nut will back out loose and let the needle close and lean out the carb too much.

Be sure to check that nut around the needle shaft that its snug to keep the carb rod from turning on its own. The T will rattle that thing loose!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles whitehouse on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Maybe check that one of the post on the commutation are not grounded. Remove cap and ground against engine and listen for coil buzzing. If it does unhook wires one at a time to isolate shorted wire or post on cap good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 12:45 am:

Fuel flow seems ok but the carburetor appears well used, could it be a problem with the carburetor? also didn't have an opportunity to check the electrical connections on the coil box, I'll check in the morning. I replaced the wire harness from box to timer while replacing coils and timer hopefully don't have a problem there. Thanks for all the suggestions. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 05:20 am:

Harvey:

Check the spark plugs, sometimes gaps greater than .025" will give problems you describe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 10:45 am:

You say it started to make a clunk when shifting to high. Does that mean it still clunks when you up-shift, or did it only do it once?

If the frequency of the chugging is regular, versus random, it's probably a misfire that's related to one cylinder. This should rule out carburetion issues, which would effect all cylinders. Check plugs, coils, wiring & compression.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration