Starting batt.question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starting batt.question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

on our 16 it starts great on batt. 1or 2 pulls cold after 2 prime pulls. when hot 1 most of time on batt. but mag. sometimes starts easy other times I give up and hook up batt.but it runs so good I am happy with it. my question is how long will a 6 volt drycell lantern batt. last starting only. it runs better on mag anyway. I realy dont want to carry a acid batt.does anyone know what people did when these cars were new?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

I installed the Fun Projects charger kit https://www.batteriesplus.com/Battery/SLA-Sealed-Lead-Acid/Duracell-Ultra/6/SLAA 6=12F2 with a 12AH battery https://www.batteriesplus.com/Battery/SLA-Sealed-Lead-Acid/Duracell-Ultra/6/SLAA 6=12F2. I never worry about battery leakage or the battery running low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

I believe 4 telephone batteries were used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

I started my '10 for years on a small "hot shot" battery. They have more than enough power and seem to recharge a bit when at rest. I switched to small wet cell batteries because they provide a back up if the mag quits and they can easily be set up in a small running board box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Paul -- You can get a small, inexpensive 12-v battery for a lawnmower or garden tractor and use that for starting. You don't need a big car-type battery just for starting, since your car has the "Armstrong Starter." :-).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

I use a rechargeable six volt sealed lead acid kiddie car battery with a quick connect under the front seat. (My brother use to work for FAO Schwartz and he would give them to me for free.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 12:00 am:

I never thought of a sealed batt like Rod and Erik use I don't like the lead acid with fumes and corrosion. The tool Box has a hole in it maybe I will use it it is easy to get to. Jack I have seen the telephone batteries the size of a 16 ounce can a lantern batt would not have much capacity. Did the aftermarket make batt boxes? Or maybe that's why everyone put on running board toolbox thanks a lot guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:03 am:

I have a small sealed sealed matt-glass 8.5AH/6volt battery tucked under my seat for touring I got off EBay for $20. Also installed a Fun Projects magneto battery charger to keep it charged up all the way. Works great, no worries about recharging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:35 am:

Dry cell batteries were used, with different types of battery boxes, most mounted on the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:04 am:

Paul.

Like Mike I use a small garden tractor battery to get my 15 touring started then switch to Mag

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:14 am:

Here's photos of what I use. I believe others are saying they use a battery like this too. I have run on 12V by hooking 2 ea. 6v in series but saw no advantage to that so I run on 1 ea. 6V. I run coils and a stock Ford timer and can make a couple of days touring on one battery charge. I run only the battery as I don't have a magneto in that car. I charge it for about 12 hrs before I go on a tour. The batteries last for years (5 years or so) and cost about $25. They are sealed so they don't leak. I run these in all my T's (early ones without starter/generator), and 1910 2-cyl Buick. The Buick made the entire New London to New Brighton run after charging the battery for an hour. (I forgot to charge it the night before.) I put the terminals on the batteries. They are obtainable at most auto supplies. If all you are running is the ignition, this is the best type of battery I have ever found. I've been using them since the early 1990's. I buy the batteries from a "battery store" and the charger came from Radio Shack. Here are photos of the battery & charger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:30 am:

Telephone dry cells were commonly used. They were plentiful and cheap. No more. The last time I bought any, years ago, I got severe sticker shock. Verne's choice is what I'd probably use today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 10:24 am:

I use a small 12volt rechargeable battery that is about the size of a Model T coil. The 12 volts give the coils a little more kick for starting than the 6 volt batteries do. My opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 10:47 am:

My set up is the same as Verne Shirk's.

Both of our Model Ts have good mags so we use them just for starting. Only charge them once at the beginning of the season and again when we take the batteries out of the cars in the fall. The batteries I have are over 15 years old and still going strong.

We have also used them for the ignition of my dad's 1910 IHC roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

thanks guys sealed battery looks like the way to go I guess 6 or 12 volt is ok. I like they are rechargeable to. nice phone Steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

i've been using a 6 volt lantern battery for two and a half years on my '11 it's cheap and small enough to tuck in a corner under the front floor board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Steve, does your phone start on magneto? I have two of those and have been thinking about using them between the house and the garage. Does anyone have the wiring diagram to set them up that way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

PM sent.

Crank Phone -4

Crank Phone -2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration