The Kingston L4

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The Kingston L4
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Booth on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

I have been up and down this thing.

New needle and seat.

The bowl has been cleaned and I flattened the bottom for a better seal. The entire carb has been cleaned and has new gaskets.

I think... I have all the passages clear.

Yet it still leaks and now it doesn't idle. I like this carb. I am familiar with this carb.

The books while a valuable resource, lack a little in content. Please help.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Where is it leaking from?

Mine leaked around the bowl screw, and I made gaskets to fit both sides of the bowl where the screw goes in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 09:35 pm:

Your float might be set to high. Set it so the needle seats when the float is horizontal. The float hinge pin may have migrated out. If the carb is off you can invert it and see if you blow thru the fuel inlet. If the needle is seated you should not be able to blow thru it.

It's a good carb, you have some kind of a cockpit problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:10 am:

Double check for the leak between the carb body and seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:40 am:

I made a tool for mine the part where the bowl seats against the bowl nut was pitted so I took a wooden dowel and bored a hole just big enough to go over the threads then I glued some 80 grit sand paper to the dowel face and removed the paper over the hole I bored mounted this in my drill press and gently sanded the ledge the bowl and gasket seats on that stopped the leak:-) I don't know if this is where yours is leaking but it worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:17 am:

Which "new needle an seat"?
WHERE is it leaking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Sometimes you will find that the fuel bowl is dimpled in. On my L-somethings I have found that some gorilla has tightened the bottom nut to the point that fuel bowl is crushed in. Here are a few fuel bowls and the third and fourth ones are dimpled in.

I have successfully pounded out the dimple on many of them and have sometimes added a rubber O ring to help complete the seal.

Another common leak is thru the vent hole. If your float level is not set correctly or the needle is not seating properly, fuel will leak thru the vent. Hope this helps.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Booth on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 05:06 pm:

Hi guys,

Without a doubt its a "cockpit issue". Its not a bowl leak it's coming from the overflow tube on the bottom of the carb.

I adjusted the float to 7/16th which the book says to do.

I took it apart late last night again taped on the needle to seat it and put it back together. Ran the engine, so far so good.
Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration