Missing $29,000 worth of tools.....TOOLS STOLEN

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Missing $29,000 worth of tools.....TOOLS STOLEN
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:12 am:

Fort Collins Colorado Judge Daniel J. Kaup ordered Robert W. Johnson of Loveland, Colorado to pay me for the $29,000 worth of tools he stole from my home. After seven long years now Johnson is a free man and I am out every thing. I called, wrote and E Mailed the ourt for years. Now Johnson is free and I have no tools. We have too many criminals and there is no place to put them. How could the court let this criminal walk around for seven years without paying a dime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:11 am:

Welcome to the New Society where yours is theirs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:15 am:

Call the police and start there- you can get a warrant issued for his arrest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:41 am:

James, I have called the police for seven years, I have called the court for seven years. This criminal has gotten away for seven years. Larimer County is the best place to be a criminal. With our justice system a criminal can rob your home and taking anything he you wants. Daniel J. Kaup did not make this criminal pay anything in seven years. Thanks Dan. Colorado pays you to treat me this way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:46 am:

Arrest for what?

Daniel, you let too much time pass. You should have immediately filed an attachment for $29K and the Sherriff would have held an auction on his personal property and assets (with exclusions). But, there in lies the rub. If he has no assets valued above the exclusions, you're out. You should have filed a loss with your homeowners insurance. Something is better than nothing.

Few criminals have assets so the best way to handle theft is to prevent it or make it difficult to accomplish. Smith & Wesson makes great theft prevention systems. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:52 am:

Also thought of something else. Many states have a "victim's fund" for losses. You might look into that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 11:15 am:

A robbery is the taking of property FROM a person. .... like walking into a bank,
brandishing a weapon, and demanding a sack of cash, or a home invasion type crime.

A burglary is the taking of property from a person's PROPERTY. This is the removal
of property items from an unoccupied location.

One is considered a violent crime, the other is not. VERY big difference in the eyes
(and prosecution) of the law.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 11:39 am:

Daniel you may not get your tools back.
The times have changed. The view nowdays is that the robbers and thieves were mistreated and society owes them.
People that have property, work, pay taxes and etc owe the poorer folks because they have been mistreated and left out of the American dream.

No kidding, this is the way more and more people are beginning to think.

Wish and hope you get restitution for you tools but it may have been to long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

John- your societal op-Ed rant and lecture isn't helping anyone here. Do you have any productive suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

Daniel, I don't know what your financial situation is, if the police aren't helping – do lawyers have any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

I'm afraid John K. is right. People who are actually productive and make it their business to earn a good living such that their children will be better off than they are being punished for that attitude. The net result of that will be a society which works only as hard and creatively as will cost them the least in taxes and maximize their dependence on the government dole. By creating rules that allow people to vote themselves money, those politicians whose policies promote such mediocrity will be guaranteed reelection.

The Greatest Generation developed a set of values forged in hardship. Their reward for surviving the Great Depression was WWII. After saving the world—and every nation that is free today has the United States to thank for it—the Greatest Generation elected to its highest office a man who said, "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country!" Try selling that concept today. Then, the Greatest Generation sent men to the Moon and back—again, to paraphrase Mr. Kennedy, "Not because it was easy, but because it was hard!" Then, there was this other man who said, "I have a dream!" Finally, to top it all off, the Berlin Wall fell and The Greatest Generation won the Cold War.

That was an America better than we have today. It's that simple. Once upon a time, we had class. Today, we have... well, what we have.

My personal consolation is that I was born at exactly the right time; late enough to miss the Great Depression, WWII and Korea, but early enough to catch the tail end of the Big Band era and the age of the great vocalists; then Bee-Bop and Jazz quartets, Rock & Roll with Elvis and The Beatles; then classic rock and a silly thing called Disco, which, for a half-decade, almost completely suspended racism because everybody from every background was dressing up and dancing "The Hustle" to some truly ridiculous songs: Fly, Robin, fly; Disco Duck; Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting; Boogie-oogie-oogie.

Dad was an aerospace machinist and we all cheered for heroes like Alan Shephard and John Glenn. Dad's work went into the Lunar Module and I watched when Neil Armstrong landed it on the Moon, took a small step for man and that giant leap for mankind. I got to see Michelangelo's Pietà and sit in James Bond's car at the 1964 New York World's Fair. I watched the Civil Rights Movement become the law of the land and saw the United States at the very pinnacle of her God-blest greatness.

The lady in the harbor still holds her torch high and we're still a beacon of hope to the rest of the world, but make no mistake; this country is on the path to destruction. If I die of old age before that happens, then indeed, I'll have been born at exactly the right time.

God bless America. Again. Please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Interesting story!

A guy on 60 Minutes recently only got 40 months for stealing over a million dollars from IRS with fraudulent returns.

He was probably out in 24 months with good behavior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

My son was living with a gal for a few years when he smashed her late model Pontiac.
She didn't get enough insurance money to buy another nice car so my wife loaned her $8,000 to buy a used Cadillac.
She never made any payments to my wife and she and our son split so my wife took her to court, and won a judgement against her for the $8,000.
Still no payments came to us.
after several months they went to court again.
Still no money, and we could not just take the car back, even with my wife's name on the title as the legal owner.
after more months the Caddy got involved in a bad accident, front and rear, which totaled the car.
Her insurance company would not pay her for the car until they got the title signed by my wife.
They agreed to pay my wife $3,000 to sign the damned title so the insurance company could give the registered owner $3,000.
So my wife is out $5,000.
If the car was in my wife's name I don't see why in hell we could not just claim the car before all this happened.
What good is a lien holder if you can't hold the lien?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

Ivan is right: Yours is theirs.
Hell of a post Bob, can't add much to that.

Too bad a quarter of the country's people can't agree with you.

A couple of days ago a guy pumped up on drugs broke into a car sales place near here in a very nice, growing, high rent, quiet town where they sell custom and exotic cars only.
The guy chopped into some of them and broke glass, etc. Really raised hell.
The police showed up and surrounded the place.
When the guy ran out the back he was met by a cop and a fight ensued. After the cop was injured and the ssa eloh ( read it backwards) was shot they were taken to hospitals.
The orses _ss died.
Now the police are being thanked, praised and patted on their backs by most people, but there are a few who think an unarmed man is dead because of trigger happy police.
Oh, and a few even want us to know they are glad the bastardo is dead.
They say he could easily have been fixed at a rehab center. Sure.
I guess none of those folks had a car in there.
And they all live next to a guy who owns guns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

You guys missed the point. If he has been before a judge, he has already been arrested for the crime and the trial is over. You can't arrest him again for the same thing. And debtors' prisons went away with the US Constitution. It became a civil mater the moment the judge ordered restitution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

I know i missed the point,what about insurance??Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

This is a bad thing. Unfortunately getting a judgment does not insure getting payment. I have had to apply liens in the past to enforce payment. If the guy is working anywhere, put a lien on his wages to enforce the judgment. Usually the sheriff's department will take the lien to the employer. Sometimes you have to file a new lien each week. If he is self employed, try to find out who he does business with and have the sheriff serve the customer who is buying from this guy. Usually the crook ends up loosing the customer as well as paying your lien. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

Sounds like it's time for a new judge! Too bad there isn't a way Daniel can steal his tools back!

I'm afraid if it were me, eventually there'd be a "mishap" in which the perp might not be able to walk again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

After combat training and The Afghan Experience, I came home and built my property
and home to have lots of choke points and defense positions. I talk a lot with my neighbors,
and we are all pretty much on alert for each other if anything looks out of place.

This won't unring a bell already rung, but thinking ahead and preparing for the worst
can make things pretty difficult for a would-be thief to ply his trade. Scum is scum, and
denying that 35% of the human race aren't parasites is just plain delusional. If a person
doesn't want to be a target for scumbags, they need to get off their apathetic asses and
take preventive action that not only makes a hit on them tough, but gives them every
advantage in a firefight.

I dream of the day some bonehead comes trying to kick my door in. There will be no trial,
no attorney's fees, no incarceration costs for the public to bear It will be very cut and dried.
Johnny Dirtbag crossed a legal line (or ten), met some unexpected resistance, and the Coroner
can find his body in the stairwell.

Call me a cynic, but I would rather operate from a point of readiness than be trying to recoup
my tools or money out of some worthless POS.

We had a Special Forces unit in our AO that had the motto: "Problem solved, problem stays
solved." I really like that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:21 am:

With ya all the way Burger. I have little signs the wife found on the computer posted on doors and some windows, started out as a "fun thing" but from my stand point I'm serious. It's a picture of a hand holding a gun pointing at you with the words: "Never mind the dog, Beware of Owner". No truer words were spoken. Once (or if) a perp makes it in, he AINT going out in one piece. No need for a coroner, there'll just be parts buried hither and yon and some for kindling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:26 am:

Well post some signs around town letting folks know that Mr.Johnson stole from you 7 years ago and never paid up as ordered. Make sure everything is fact and he cant get you for slander. If you don't spread the word he is a crook others may fall victim. Run a ad in the paper once in a while to.

I know hind sight is 20-20 but you should have filed a civil suit soon after and kept the paper work trail active. You are now victim of the statue of limitations.

The courts do not give a fiddlers damn if you ever get paid. As far as they are concerned victims have insurance and expect that to cover loss's like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Just because you have a judgement from the court in your favor, it does not mean you will get a penny. YOU have to take the steps to collect on the judgement.
Here in Calif a citizen won a judgement against the DMV (yep Department of Motor Vehicles) and they refused to pay. He went to the local sheriffs office with the paperwork and they paid a visit to the closest DMV office. The officer felt that the person had every right to remove all the computers from the office. After a quick phone call from the manager to Sacramento the lien was satisfied in cash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

A few years back I paid $20,000 for a Lotus Elite. It was in bits but complete except for no motor. The body needed some work and Morris Kindig offered to do the work as part of the purchase price. The missing motor wan't too difficult I found a suitable Coventry Climax and waited for the body and running gear to be delivered. After a year of waiting and calling I called a lawyer and we sued for he money. After a year or so I received a judgement against Morris Kindig, unfortunately he has gone to ground.
I hear form the servers that I am not his only victim.
I am out $20,000 plus the motor plus lawyer fees. The California court system is a joke.
My only recourse seems to warn folks of him by name, I only hope he sues me.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

Amen Ivan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Tony,

Looks like Morris may be easier to find than you think.

Seems that he's a big wheel at the Museum of Automotive Arts in Monterey, CA.

I'd give them a ring and see if they know him. Heck, he just might answer the phone! Better yet, Monterey isn't that far up the coast. I'd pay him a visit in person. Well, you and the Marshall.

Good luck.
Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Try putting a lien on him.

You can live in Baltimore where you can spit on the police and throw rocks and not get arrested, per the riots a few months ago.

My young female assistant loves to hula hoop. She and I complain about things in life like this and then we end it with, "but the only thing that matters is hooping and model T's!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

The museum is a figment of Kindigs mind, the address given on the web site is a small industrial building in Sunnyvale and the phone number is disconnected. According to the Monterey Herald he left the organization in July 2014 and the organization did not file tax returns. Some non-profit.....
Seems like he is a typical white collar crook.
I would appreciate knowing of any other contacts within the past year.
Thanks
TonyB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration