Odd accessory gas cap with gauge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Odd accessory gas cap with gauge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Ake Osterdahl asked me to post this question for him since he has some computer issues.

He bought this accessory gas cap with a gauge from USA without any info about how it's supposed to work. It seems to miss a few parts?

Has anyone seen anything like it or perhaps a period ad?

It was made by Mack-Norton Engine Corp. in Hartford, Conn.

Cap 1Cap 2
Cap 3Cap 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

I saw this one or one similar to it on ebay recently. As I understand it, you pressurize the tank to a point where the guage and the fuel level are in sync and as the fuel is consumed the corresponding drop in pressure will cause the guage to indicate the fuel level. I passed on it because I could see where this would be troublesome and bought one with a float instead. Good luck with it---hope it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

Looks like the very same gauge?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-T-FORD-ACCESSORY-FUEL-GAUGE-/291492498301

If the tank is filled with air pressure, it'll leak where the gauge is connected to the cap with a simple set screw. Something is missing, maybe someone has seen a working unit or an ad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

Right---it would have to be airtight and unless the guage and pressure were in perfect harmony you could get into a situation where the fuel wouldn't flow even if some remained. Maybe a bladder of some sort?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Start with something obvious and simple.

See that printing along the left edge? Looks like there may be a company name and a location. Also, the additional printing under "Gasoline Gauge"?

Figure out what it says and then do some searching on Google books to find an advertisement or press release in an automotive trade publication or Fordowner magazine, etc. Use a custom date range of 01/01/1908 through 12/31/1927.

You can also do a patent search using the same information.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration