OT: Is It Gas?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT: Is It Gas?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Someone left a gallon jug on my shop doorstep today. It contains a clear, red-tinted liquid that smells like gasoline. Is there a way to see if I can just pour it into my car?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

I've known of T's running on Naptha, kerosene, alcohol, OLD gasoline, and even mixing diesel fuel into the gas. I'd consider adding it to 5+ gallons of gas and running it. IMHO it's unlikely to hurt anything and most likely will run just fine, maybe better than MMO. ):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:37 pm:

Really, you want us to "bite" on that? Oh so many smart a_ _ comments to come back with. Whoever left it probably just found it at the end of the Exxon rainbow... anyone have a match?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

There are warnings about unknown containers of liquid being left at intersections and ditches that are the by-product of drug manufacture (Meth-Amphetamine). Sometimes that drug is actually made in the trunk of a car.

HELL NO don't touch it or put it in your car unless a friend calls and tells you they left you a gallon of gas but who does that? I would call the police and let them arrange for disposal. My advice is to not go near it again and I would sure not open it or smell it.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

Sad to say nowadays you can't trust nuthin' or hardly no-one. Heck it could be tinted nitroglycerine! Like the "other Tim" said, give it to the authorities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

Pay attention to Tim Moore's advice. He's right on target!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

Assume your kidding but if not you've come to the right place as far as folks trying to figure out what strange additives they can dump in their oil & fuel. My personal best was when a customer cleaned a small paint brush by dipping it in the fuel tank of his mower. Then leaving it there for a few weeks. At least. Entire fuel system painted red. From the inside. We kept the carb for laughs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

Its my moonshine jug, I wondered where it ended up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

clear//red tinted //duh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Sad day that this country has come to this... the ugly stuff, but probably a lot of truth in the concern being shared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

My experiments leads me to believe it is off-road diesel fuel, which is dyed red to prevent on-road use (that is, it's not taxed). I lit a sample on a Q-Tip and it burnt and smelled like diesel. I think it got left by a road construction crew. They use it to clean tools soiled with blacktop. I'll bring to a diesel mechanic I know to see if he wants it.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:51 am:

I can't believe you're messing with an unknown liquid, left by God knows who, for some unknown reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Absolute best case, it is off road diesel which right now is worth less than $2/gallon if you have something to run it in. Pour it in your truck and get caught it is a $10,000 fine in Iowa and that dye will stay in there for a long long time.

Worst case? you get very very sick and possible death.

Risk is not equaling reward here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

This has to be a prank because it is too stupid to believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

It's called illegal dumping. Just be glad it was left in the jug and not poured on the ground.

It's done by folks who are too lazy to figure out how to properly dispose of an unwanted item. It happens everywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

LOL, For what it is worth (not much) I would not even use it to start a fire in the charcoal grill!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:06 am:

This brings up a good point. You find a container filled with an unknown substance. How do you legally dispose of it? Or you drain 15 year-old gas out of a car. How do you dispose of that??

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:27 am:

I would have called the Sheriff's Department in a New York minute. We have tons of meth producers in my area and Lord knows what was in that jug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Your local, county or state government most likely can tell you how to legally dispose of anything and where to take it. You may not always like the answer.

As far as good, useable items go, you can always give them away via Craigslist or Freecycle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:37 am:

Bill, you haul it to Filtrol and dump it into their waste tank (petroleum based waste). You do not haul it to your neighbors ranch and leave it there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:47 am:

P. Jamison, I assume you are what I would call a city slicker.
Here in the country I would pour it in a large open container and burn it. It might be a good idea to stand up wind just in case it is something other than diesel. I would not worry about the $3.00 per gallon cost if it is diesel, I am not broke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Even if gas or diesel were $5.00 a gallon, which in the continental US at this time is doubtful, I wouldn't risk pouring an unknown substance in any internal combustion engine and take the risk of using it.
If some unknown person left you a plate of cookies on your doorstep, possibly laced with anything from Ex Lax to rat poison, would you take the chance and eat them?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration