Can I put a 26-27 coupe body on a 25?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Can I put a 26-27 coupe body on a 25?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed sandstrom on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

Can I put a 26-27 coupe body on a 25 frame? If so is there any modifications needed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

A 26-27 frame is needed at a minimum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Ed,

Anything can be modified to fit anything. I've seen an F-150 body modified to fit a late model Crown Victoria running gear & frame. It actually looks decent -- but it was an unbolt one body and put the other body on.

In general it is much easier to use the same general time frame of parts. The 1926-27 cars were "improved" and had many but not all parts that do not fit well on the previous models. Bodies are one of those parts that do NOT easily fit on the early frames. Which is why you will see the advertisements for the depot hack bodies that they fit 1909-1925 rather than 1909-1927 chassis.

Fun Projects has an excellent drawing of the earlier style frame at: http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/FPIframe.pdf And any common 1909-1925 car T body will fit on any common 1909-1925 car T frame -- the body mounting holes are the same. You may need to relocate the some parts -- i.e. you may need a different radiator and hood depending on the body used etc. The 1926-27 frame diagram at: http://www.wescottsauto.com/Tech/FrameDiagram1926-27.pdf has additional dimensions

Also there is the matter of getting the steering parts to line up correctly. See: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/24786.html for an explanation of why it is easier if you keep the parts from the same year range together. I.e. do not mix the 1926-27 parts with a 1925 frame/body – as it requires more “lining up the parts” to make it work.

If you have a 1925 chassis and a 1926 body -- trading either one of those for the other year range would make life a lot easier. And your car would normally be worth more after you were finished. I.e. do 1924-25 high cowl or 1926-27 improved or 1917-1920 touring or 1917-1921 roadster or 1921-1923 touring or 1922-1923 roadster etc.

Note many folks don't care what year engine is in the car -- they all fit with mininmal changes and it is always easy to put the correct year range engine back in a car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9ll5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration