Is this a bushing or part of the shaft?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is this a bushing or part of the shaft?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

This is a shaft from an unknown year model T. I banged off the spool now need to take off this sleeve and bushing??

Is this a bushing or part of the shaft?

I need to take it off and banging on it has not worked.

Thank you, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

Robert, both the thrust bearing and sleeve can be pressed together off the shaft.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Bob -- The sleeve is a separate piece, and it's supposed to be a press fit. You might try heating the sleeve to expand it, then push it off the drive shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Normally just a nice big bearing puller will get it off, sprays of Kroil penetrating oil as it pulls off the shaft. Puller arms on the washer gives nice grip. Sleeve comes off with a pop most times!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

great! thanks for the advice and tips.

Get'n on a great big boat and head'n to the Caribbean for a week so when I get back I 'll buy a puller and get her off!

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:51 am:

Note that Dan has the D.S. pinion nut on the threads. That is a good idea, to keep from damaging the threads. He has the early style nut. I like the later style better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

When I had trouble pulling a shot drive shaft sleeve I cut it lengthwise with a grinder - very carefully, just close to the drive shaft, never into the shaft. Then it was very easy to pull it off :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Also note that the puller is pulling the race of the bearing only.
If the puller is against the whole bearing the balls will be compressed into the races and can ruin the bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

There is a special tool used to remove the inner sleeve. Absent access to that tool, I suggest what Roger recommends. They are very difficult if not impossible to remove with an ordinary puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 09:16 am:

A word of warning about removing that pinion gear might save a person a very serious injury or perhaps even a death.

Yesterday, I visited a friend that was trying to remove a pinion gear from the drive shaft to inspect the roller bearing, etc.

He had a bearing puller installed that was very similar to the one that Dan provided the photo of above and cranked as tight as the screw would turn.

I suggested he get a 30 inch breaker bar and a socket to fit the end of the screw and give it one more turn.

He got the socket and an air wrench that is normally used to remove auto wheel lug nuts instead.

That wrench is capable of about 150 foot pounds of pressure and it was run awhile with no results.

A few wraps on the screw end with a large hammer did nothing either.

So the next suggestion was some heat that almost always works.

A welding torch was fired up and adjusted for a nice blue 1 1/2 inch flame.

It was applied around the pinion gear for 5 or 10 seconds max and there was a large bang that sounded like a vehicle collision.

The pinion gear was about 6 feet away and laying on the floor.

The gear puller was about half way between the gear and the work bench where it had been.

The torque tube assembly had left the bench in the other direction and was standing on the floor and leaning against the bench.

Had that pinion gear let go with the air hammer attached and anyone standing in front of it that would have provided a person with an awful stomach ache at least.

Had that pinion gear let go while someone was standing in front of it with the torch, it would probably at least penetrated the bowl cavity and caused a bad wound.

Some care must be observed when removing that pinion gear in either case to avoid a serious injury or possible a death.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 09:31 am:

A Steve Jelf video on pinion gear removal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4PomzxBmY

Steve, how did you remove the bearing sleeve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

At least you don't have my problem. Disassembled driveshaft to install a Fun Project piņion bearing kit and the sleeve slid right off. Appears to have been turning on the shaft. Glad I found it.
Shaft

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration