When did they stop making the "Riveted" triple gear?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: When did they stop making the "Riveted" triple gear?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

I did a search and can't find my answer. I have a spare set of triple gears that are riveted together. Anyone able to tell me what year they stopped making them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

The one piece design started in 1917 according to the encyclopedia. Both styles of triple gears were used for some period in the beginning, (though always the same type in one engine since the weight differs)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

Hey Roger! Going on their availability here, I would have put the introduction, at least on Canadian sourced cars, much later than that. I have far more riveted gears than one piece ones. Without giving it much thought, I'd put them down as 26-7 improved car parts.

I much prefer the riveted gears, provided the rivets are still tight. The wider gear teeth cause less wear on the drum shafts and they also are less worn due to the wider contact area. The one piece gears were likely to be cheaper to make, rather than an improvement in design.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 02:14 am:

In Sweden we have almost exclusively post WW1 USA and brittish made Model T stuff, so riveted gears are very rare here. The encyclopedia is written from a USA point of view, many things were different in Canadian production.

I thought about using a set of riveted gears I bought from USA, then I looked at the wear pattern on the gears on my drums - they have been used with one piece triple gears and while not at all worn out, the wear pattern wont fit as I would like it to be. Well, they'll get some use eventually..
Just check so the rivets are tight :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 04:59 am:

You make a good point Roger. Fitting riveted gears to drums which have previously run one piece gears will not work very well. The narrower teeth on the one piece gears wear a narrow track on the drum gears. There would certainly be a mis-match should they be mixed.

I have found it much easier to find good riveted gears than one piece ones. I put this down to the wider teeth spreading the load over a wide wear face.

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Guys... Thanks for the information. The set of riveted gears I have are from my grandfathers stash and they appear to be like-new. The rivets are tight. I can see no wear on the teeth either. In any event, thanks so much for the information.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration