Water pump.....GONE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Water pump.....GONE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

I'm not trying to start a discussion of whether water pumps are a good thing or not. I'm just giving a report.
Back in 2004, when I first got "Anastasia" on the road, I fitted her with a water pump. From the very first outing the thing leaked. Over the years I constantly tightened the gland packing, over and over and eventually replaced it. Whenever the car sat for an extended time the water would drain down to the pump level and corrosion became a problem. Not only that but wherever the coolant leaked it removed paint. Down the side of the block, along the block to pan ledge and even on the radius rod. It was a real nuisance.
So, believing that it was more trouble than it's worth, I bit the bullet and removed the thing.
The good news is that the exercise will give me the opportunity to attend to other small maintenance jobs while its apart.
The pump now sits on a shelf waiting for me to decide whether to keep it or to listen for that rubbish bin clang
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Congrats on the removal. But like any true Model T person, you shouldn't throw it out. Why not repurpose it to a wheel chock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

You have a stoltz distributor,how do you like it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:36 pm:

The first step in becoming a happy Model T owner is disposing of any water pumps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

David,
That Model T Ranch distributor is EXCELLENT.
Hasn't caused me the slightest bit of grief in 11 years. But like the water pump it is also gone. The only problem with them is getting over the idea that they require a flat being ground onto the end of the camshaft. It may return.

Royce,
its something I've been wanting to do for a long while now.

Chad,
What a great idea. But I'll remove and re-use the greaser cups first

Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

The best thing to do with a T water pump is to send it to Rovce, he has a special saw that will cut it up in little pieces.
Water pumps do not make good wheel chocks.

Actually, the purpose of this post is to ask for more pictures of the body on that car.
We would like to see pictures of the dash of the rear of the car.
Is it an Australian body or was it made in N.Z.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

Things are just not the same without Ralph! RIP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Kim,
I couldn't agree more.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

OK, I went to Rob's profile, I see it is and Australian bodied Canadian car.
Still want to see more pictures,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Yes Rob, what a gorgeous car. More info please......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

Gents,
In 1963, the original lady owner gave the remains of this car to my Mother on condition that she never sold it to a man. My wife, Sandy, now owns it. The 3rd lady owner.
Its a '21 Canadian built car with a Steenbohms built body. Steenbohms were body builders for Davies and Fehon (later Davies and Davies)who were the Sydney Ford agents. It was in a very sorry state when it came to us and Sandy and I set about restoring it. "It" soon became "Anastasia" and has been our pride and joy since its restoration in 2004. When my daughter was about 10, she asked me what was all that junk in the corner of the shed. I told her that one day I'd drive her to her wedding in it. She laughed, but Anastasia's first outing was to do just that. I hope you like the pics. the dash is made from River Red Gum, but isnt quite as "red" as depicted here. More like the outdoors shots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Thanks for the compliments Gents.
To Have Rob Heyen calling my car "Gorgeous".....WOW!
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

Thanks for posting more pictures Rob.
It's a nice body but the restoration is even better.
That car would really be popular here in the U.S. at any car show or National tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

Do I see 1915-style ribbed pedals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Steve,
Yes, you do. But they are the original items on this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 01:18 am:

i would like a water pump because i plan on blocking up all the usual water passages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 07:22 am:

Steve, our Canadian sourced cars had ribbed pedals right up to 1925 I believe. My 25 wide body roadster is the first T I have owned that has smooth pedals.

Just for interest.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 02:04 am:

I did all the usual things.

I ran some CLR through the cooling system, let it get good and hot. Then I removed the water pump and the radiator, flushed it and reversed flushed it (and the block/head) several times.
Today I re-installed the radiator and refitted the hood which now fits better than it had previously. I filled the thing using this Penrite Coolant http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=6&id_subcateg=98&id_products= 92which I've used on a couple of my cars before, including this one.
Then I started the car and let it idle for about 30 mins.
The motor-meter got to about 1/3rd of the way into the summer circle and just stayed there. I'd accidentally over-filled it so it gave a few "burps" along the way, getting to its correct level no doubt.

This is the 1st time since I restored the car that I've run it without a water pump and I must say "I'm impressed". I should have had more faith in Henry's design and the 15,000,000 model T's that didn't have one.

I did find this though, which gives a good explanation of the pro's and con's of various coolants. Its not a bad read. http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/V5_ITS%20GOOD%20TO%20BE%20COOL.pdf

WATER PUMP GONE FOREVER
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 03:06 am:

Try this link instead. I hope its the right one this time.
Cheers,
Rob
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products-categs.php?id_categ=14&id_subcateg=72

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Hey Rob, Now you have lost your attachment for your waterpump, perhaps now you are ready to enjoy a sweet running T on coils and magneto! I mean this in all sincerity! The Stoltz distributor would be the perfect addition to your speedster project?? Hopefully your magneto coil and magnets are still intact so no problem returning to the original system. I have tried all types of systems and with the knowledge and experience available to us from this forum, my T runs magnificently on coils and a TW timer. Sned me an email if you would like to learn more. Your car is a very nice sample. Would love to see you on tour with us in Warragul next year??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Another water pump story. My 15 wasn't cooling well (which later turned out to be a rad with loose fins). I added a borrowed water pump and there was no improvement at all. A new rad fixed the problem.

I guess the lesson was, if the fins are loose and the rad won't cool well, a water pump is a waste of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:09 am:

Everyone reads/see's something different but when the pump i [had] dripped it was telling me to grease it a slight bit.If money was no object i would like a water pump with no fan belt! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:20 am:

You'll have to find one of the first 2,500 T's then, Bud - they had gear driven water pumps and no fan belt :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 10:00 am:

Roger,I know who owne's one and i have seen it at the O.C.F.Yup,By reading Tin Lizzie by Stern 55 or so years ago i knew that.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 11:18 am:

I have been running a Texas T water pump for 10 years with no leaking and am very happy with it. Prior to adding the water pump, my T would lose a lot of coolant.....especially on long hill climbs. That all changed when I installed the water pump. For 5 years, I chased all the recommendations that others suggested and nothing worked. Yes, I do have a Brass Works, flat tube radiator on my 13 and it is clean and not plugged.
Cleaned the block out with acid when I rebuilt the engine.
Not saying or recommending that others add water pumps. However, some of us that are using water pumps are very happy with the results. Not all water pumps are the same....some seem to work much better than others.

Not interested in comments or suggestions on doing away with my water pump.....I have walked the walk and am more interested in having fun vice satisfying others that hate water pumps.

Model A Fords have a very similar engine cooling system design compared to T's and have water pumps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

If you really want a water pump Larry Sidmore in California makes a real nice one. Give him a call and he will send you the information on it. He also makes a real nice AC Brake system. Tell him Dick Eddinger in Sacramento Ca referred you to him. Won't be any cheaper and I get nothing from it just wanted him to know a satisfied customer sent you.
209-533-9207

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration