OT Restoration Related

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Restoration Related
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Found this picture of an early ambulance online and would like to copy it on my Maxwell. Does anyone recognize what type fasteners are the 4 squares that are for securing the sides when rolled up? I'd like to understand what they are, still available? and how they work?

Howard Dennistop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

I have seen those on tarps before.(back when we had canvas tarps.) You might check awning/tarp suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Howard,

From what I can see, I believe those are what are called Murphy Fasteners.

They are still being made and are readily available through all the Model T parts suppliers such as Chaffin's, Lang's, Mac's, etc.

They're relatively easy to install with common tools however, there is a special punch available to punch the oval hole and the slots for the prongs on the escutcheon ring that the male portion of the fastener goes through. It's expensive and you really don't need it if you're careful.

The male portion of the fastener comes in several configurations for fastening it to the body. It can be had with a single wood screw coming out of the back of the fastener for screwing the fastener into wood (this may be what you'll need for your project),an oval flange that uses a screw on either side of the fastener to attach it, or a machine thread screw in place of the wood screw that I mentioned above.

Different body or car manufacturers had different requirements.

Hope this answers your question.

Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Unless my eyes deceive me, there are two purposes to the fittings in the re-inforced squares at each bow. There appears to be a knot at the top. I suggest that rope ties down the tarp to the side rail on the tray. The second eyelet hole, to the side of the front and rear bows and below on the two intermediate bows would take a second rope used when the sides are rolled up. This second rope is likely to be fixed to the bows, near the eyelet, inside the tarp. The front and rear eyelets are offset so that the rope does not come off the end of the roll of the sides.

There was a similar system employed on the WW1 Albion truck I had the pleasure of working with on a TV production.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

If I understand this correctly the male part of the Murphy fasteners is attached to the bows and the female part is crimped into the canvas? The Murphy fasteners sole purpose is to anchor the canvas to the bows? The eyelets crimped into the canvas are to allow ropes to pass through the canvas and anchor to the bow and are then used to tie up the rolled up sides?

Howard Dennis

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration