What a diff. A coil makes!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What a diff. A coil makes!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Our 16 was starting on 1 or 2 lifts of crank than it got harder starting. It still ran good When it finally started. I switched a different coil and back to 1 pull starting! I let it sit all nite and one pull this morning!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Sounds like we have a Model T lover for life now. You will probably have to find another coil box lid to get the retainer you need, and do anneal those tabs before bending them, as they will surely break off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Larry I think you are right! I never thought a T would be so much fun to drive. I havent went anywhere yet just driveing around very close to home half throttle geting the hang of it. I heard so many bad things about Ts broken arms bad stering no brakes I find this car to handle very well. now I dont even need a batt. it starts on mag. cold. if it didint run so good before coil gave me trouble I would have thought it ran normal. now its like a new car! I got new capacitors but I will leave it alone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:35 am:

Paul, the reason your car runs so good, is because it is new. From all of your posts, I doubt if your car has many miles. Even though your car didn't come from the factory with a speedometer, I'd put one on anyway. I'd use either a stock '15, or an aftermarket Stewart 100.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

Get your coils done up correctly if they haven't been done already. I really don't see swapping 1 coil curing your starting problem. You think it runs good now? Get them re-built & HCCT'd and you'll be posting here about how great (not good) it runs & starts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Charlie I think what it was coil worked good at speed but cranking it it would hit and die when it got to weak coil. if elec.start it would have not been noticeable. and when it didint start I would prime it and make it worse. I wonder how many people have a similer problem and put on a elec.starter. my 97 year old uncle has no problem starting it. I will work on my spare coils and get them tested. but I dont want to touch anything when it runs so good!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration