OT - ETE of WI remanufactured transmission failure from builder on install

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - ETE of WI remanufactured transmission failure from builder on install
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

So ...

I begin my second week in Albuquerque, NM

After delivering a 69' Challenger my E4OD tranny bit the bullet last Friday.

That was good in a way because I really need to rest my crushed leg - I had not had more than 36 hours off of it in the past month.

Found a great family owned one man transmission shop & ordered a remanufactured E4OD drop in unit from ETE in Wisconsin w/ a 3 year warranty.

Tranny ordered Monday - arrived Thursday - installed today ...

Will not do anything in 3rd - just spins ...

Being Friday - have to wait until Monday to call them.

So - avoid ETE remanufactured transmissions.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

I thought a "free neutral" was a good thing. Now you have two! And more is always better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Jim, is the speedometer working correctly? Lack of vehicle speed sensor input will cause what you are describing. I have a couple of friends that are successful at doing "bench" rebuilds an automatics, but I won't work on one unless the whole vehicle is in my shop. There are too many variables, and there may be a computer or electrical problem that caused the original failure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

Jim
Ed has a valid point. My step-son bought a Ford pickup that had been diagnosed with a bad transmission by a transmission shop. He replaced a sensor in the differential and the transmission was cured.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 12:48 am:

I don't understand. The poorly welded hitch on your new trailer rips and very nearly detaches completely, potentially putting those with whom you share the road at great risk, and you continually sing the manufacturer's praises....

However, your reman trans has a technical fault and you roast the outfit that rebuilt it without giving them an opportunity to redeem themselves?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 02:36 am:

Ed & Bill,

Good point - but that was not my problem.

My tranny was pulled & torn down.

It has a center bearing & support failure along w/ clutch destruction.

The p/u for the speedo along w/ the ABS control is located on the top of the rear diff.

When that goes the powertrain goes into limp mode - I have had that happen before.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 02:42 am:

Waler,

ETE is supposedly the 3rd largest remanufacturer in the US.

They represent each tranny to be dyno tested under load before leaving the factory:

@ http://etereman.com/blog/transmission-care/dyno-testing-a-re-manufactured-automa tic-transmission-and-why-its-important

This tranny was either never dyno tested or tested & failed but shipped regardless.

There was no sign of shipping damage.

My trailer manufacturer offered to build me another trailer free of charge - which they are doing now.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 08:18 am:

Jim, what did ETE offer to do to rectify your situation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Walter,

They have no customer service on the weekend.

By the time the tranny was installed on Friday & the condition was realized - they were closed.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Well ...

ETE customer support was a dead end.

They claimed the transmission passed a hot & cold test on a dynamometer before being shipped.

Their position was - my mechanic must have damaged the control wiring or the wiring harness/connectors were bad.

Turns out the solenoid pack that is located in the transmission had a bad pin - my mechanic found this out after several hours of diagnosis.

Tranny is operating o.k. now ...

I am not a fan of ETE - I will never buy another one of their remanufactured transmissions

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Jim, did you let ETE know what you found out? It may be interesting to hear what they say about that and the amount of publicity they're getting. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

David,

My mechanic will let them know & note it on my invoice for warranty purposes.

I talked to their warranty department this morning before my mechanic found the problem.

My impression is - they just do not care ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

I had five transmissions put in my new company work truck (a Ford bucket truck) over the course of three years.

After the fourth one, the head of our motor vehicle department came to investigate ME, saying that I was abusing the vehicle or was unfamiliar with the driving. Say what? An automatic? After over fifty years of driving just about anything with wheels I was offended to say the least.

I had the truck towed to a different repair shop where I know the people and had the transmission torn apart. They found rusty and sub standard parts had been installed, and incorrectly at that. I had the company motor vehicle inspector make a return trip and showed him the damage. The transmission was rebuilt locally and functioned fine until I retired. The suspect transmission rebuilder lost a BIG account....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

George,

It is always better to have your transmission rebuilt if there is no damage to the hard parts.

My transmission had a center support & main bearing failure.

Because I travel all over the country - my mechanic recommended a quality remanufactured unit - there is a nationwide parts & labor warranty.

Knowing what I know now - I should have had him rebuild my transmission.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 08:44 am:

The state issued 1995 F450 I had went thru 4 transmissions in 186,000 miles. The shop that the state had a contract with to do the transmissions was a flyby night outfit that moved and changed names when the seasons changed. I tried to explain that to the shop supervisor but there was a friendship involved in the contract and no one wanted to rock the boat.
Oh yea, I got followed and checked up on to make sure I didnt abuse the truck. The division traffic engineer,my big boss, put his cousin working with me for a while since he was a good tattle tale..I later found out that Ford was putting the same transmission behind a v6 and the v8 460! DUH, you put a rubber band behind a horse of a engine,it aint gonna last!
I hope you post photos of the hitch on the new trailer Jim. I want to see how it is put together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 11:17 am:

George and you got a big apology, correct?

I would hope so and would like to have demanded one if not readily given.
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

UGH... It used to be that a automatic transmission was a self contained unit. Not so much any more. Now it is controlled by the computer in your car. If the computer starts to go south there can be problems with shift points both up and down and you will see fault codes that are not published in the service manuals you can buy at the normal parts stores. Don't ask my why I know this....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 12:00 am:

BTW the replacement cost of the computer in my 05 Ford F150 was about 2 grand after the 2 grand rebuild of the transmission. Again don't ask me why I know this...

(Message edited by paulmikeska on July 15, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration