OT - Lathe Make & Model

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Lathe Make & Model
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Picked this up from a friend. Tag says Craftsman, can anyone identify the model?

Craftsman Lathe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

If there is a number on the tag put it into Google and see what comes up. There are many collectors of lathes out there. I have a Dalton there is a cult of collectors out there for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Looks like it has flat ways, if so my guess would be Atlas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

This is a fantastic website for woodworking and metal working machinery:

http://vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx

The home page says they are dedicated to woodworking machinery but they also include metal lathes and milling machines.

Once you get use to the navigation, you should be able to obtain a lot of information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

Tag only says Craftsman, I did find a serial number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Craftsman lathes were made by Atlas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Looks just like my 9"south bend. No quick change gears though. Great score if it was free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, July 10, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

Yes it was free. Appears to be a late 30's Craftsman (Atlas clone) 16 speed lathe. I guess I should have asked Mr. Google first. Found the info from a UK website.

Found my next preservation project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:27 am:

Nice score! Quick change gears come up often on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:41 am:

I have a 10" Atlas. It is the handiest tool in the shop. Seems like I chuck something up every weekend.

There are a lot of parts for Atlas lathes on eBay. Search "Atlas" under Business and Industrial.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Bob - Unfortunately, I think a lot of people upchuck something every weekend!

(.......sorry,.....couldn't resist,......)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

Mark I should have said "quick change gear box". That machine is known as "loose change gears". It's likely the loose gears are with it. I think it's 50's or 60's vintage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

I have a WW11 vintage 18" x 48" Nebel lathe.
Great machine...never been used much.
It has War Dept. and Navy tags on it.
I've had it about 40 yrs and use it a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 12:45 am:

My little late came in handy tonight as I faced off some 5/16 screws to remove the marks that come on them. Now they look like Ford bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 12:46 am:

Lathe not late, sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Doty New Salisbury, IN on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 08:01 am:

This early craftsman (atlas) is pretty darn close.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page2.html
lathe

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration