New finds

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New finds
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 07:32 am:

I have the body of my Duncan and Fraser roadster in the workshop, taking lots of photos as I go.

These two details were a pleasant surprise.loom tag

Partially obscured is a brass loom tag, complete with Ford script. I guess that means it is an original loom.

terminal block
The terminal block looks like it is original too. It looks like I will need a couplr of 1/2" 6g round head Robertson screws.

wide body
The two metal strips are seat cushion retainers. The photo shows how much wider these roadsters are compared with a tourer, some 9". The extreme angle of the door jamb means the distance between the top of the pillars is 4'3".

Next thing is to remove the wooden dash.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 08:30 am:

What year car? Was it under water at one time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Hi Allen, this Canadian with a soft spot for Aus has hundreds of Robertson screws. Send a PM if you would like some no charge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:20 am:

I don't think the car was under water. Its just the close up shots reveal the rust and pitting after almost 90 years. Most old cars that were left in a barn or partially exposed to the weather will look like that. I'll bet this car is a 'real' barn find. It's never been restored and found in its close to original state.
Good deal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Chris, because the body is Adelaide built, all the fixings are slot headed screws. The only Robertson screws are in the Canadian supplied chassis, and the terminal block is the only place I could find them. Half a dozen 1/2" x 6g round heads as shown would find a new home if you have them. Thank you for the offer.I bought some countersunk stainless steel ones on a visit to New Zealand, but can't use them here.

Tim, it was not under water, but was from a coastal village, which may account for the rusted out mudguards and splash panels. When I removed the body, the frame was covered in a thick layer of what appeared to be cement. I suspect it was fine dust from prolonged storage in a dirt floor shed. Most of it washed off when the rolling chassis was caught in a shower of rain before I could get it back under cover after the body lift.

John, you are correct about the barn find bit. David Chantrell posted some good photos of the car in an earlier thread late last year.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Allen happy to help.

We know the diametrical sizes as #6, #8, #10 etc. I used 1/2 x #8 on my '26 terminal block.

Please PM your postal address along with the diameter needed (large dia, outside the threads). I'll match it up and send them off.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration