Glass bowl filter: Another familiar product bites the dust

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Glass bowl filter: Another familiar product bites the dust
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:22 am:

One of the things I despise about shopping is going into a store and asking for a product that's been around since dirt was invented, an item I've seen and used all my life, and none of the young folks there have ever heard of it, and even the gray-heads aren't sure what it is. The latest object on the long and expanding list of bygone products which demonstrate how obsolete I am is the glass bowl fuel filter. Oh yes, you can still get them. But the sources are few and the prices are high. After seeing my recent tank-cleaning adventure, Harold suggested trying one of those. The same thought had occurred to me. So I went shopping. The local stores (farm supply, auto parts) were a waste of time, so I went online. Did I mention that the sources are few and the prices are high? Yes, I believe I did. I'm keeping an eye on eBay, but I'm also putting this on my list of items to watch for at swap meets. Familiarity breeds overconfidence. Just because you've see it all your life, don't assume it will be easy to find when you want it. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Steve, John Deere stores or dealers still have them.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:42 am:

I'm pretty sure that they are on the shelf at Tractor supply Stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam "POPS" Humphries Lexington, KY on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:52 am:

SEVERAL VERSIONS ON AMAZON AS LOW AS 15.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:57 am:

This one at Tractor Supply is a good candidate if you insist on not using the original type sediment bowl under the tank:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tisco-sediment-bowl-assembly-2naa9155b? cm_vc=IOPDP1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:00 am:

Check out Yesterdays tractors on the net. They have several versions that they sell. Look under Ford tractors. They have them like most if not all old tractors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:08 am:

The TSC store here in Waco has the sediment bowl the Royce mentioned. The store has a section for older Ford tractor parts and that bowl assembly is always on the shelf.
I just bought one for my NAA Ford a year ago. Its only the second one I have had to replace on the NAA since my Father bought it new in 54!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:11 am:

Steve , are you looking for this one.
2161R
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Hmm, My son told me they have two different kinds on the shelf at the auto shop where he works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Interesting. The numbers the sediment bowl, muffler and manifolds that are listed under on the Tractor Supply web site are the original Ford part numbers. The 2N, 8N and 9N prefixes indicate the model of the tractor, the 4 digit number, 9155, is the generic Ford code for a fuel sediment bowl, and the B suffix indicates that it is version 2.

I am not certain what the AA code designates in this number.

I suspect that for the manifolds, the suffix WG probably means "with gaskets". This was probably added by the vendor, as I doubt Ford would have used that designation.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Steve with the junk coming out of that tank I'd leave the filter out and use the bowl itself as a kind of drop leg to collect the heavier stuff. At least for a while. Maybe add acheap in line filter. Easier to change than messing with cleaning hard to get stone filter. Especially on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Lawnmower shop......they still stock them for Briggs and Strattons and other engines. All of them have brass mesh, a shut off valve and are plumbed for 1/4" tubing.

I've bought my last two straight off of Ebay where the selection is amazing. Just do a search for "sediment bowl".

The one pictured above for a Ford tractor would work well, as it sticks up enough inside to keep any nasties from getting through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Farm & Fleet still carry many varieties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

Hi Steve,
I removed the glass sediment container on my 27 Roadster and put on the fixture that originally came with the car. Now I am glad I saved it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

No, Royce, I'm not thinking of doing away with the sediment bulb by the tank. I just thought it would be nice to have a bowl where I could easily see if anything bad was getting past it.

Charlie, that was my thought too. Just a glass sediment bowl that wouldn't have a chance of restricting flow.

Thanks to all for the suggested sources. I'll take my time and find one reasonably priced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

Steve I have about 5 but they are all integral to the fuel pumps I can't find diaphram's for anymore!:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

What's your budget on this Steve? They are all over eBay for about $10. Like this one for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Glass-USA-Sediment-Bowl-Fuel-Filter-Rat-Rod-or-R estore-/371363788766?hash=item567701b7de&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Thanks, Royce. That's exactly right. Straight-through inline. Most of the others I've seen were made to screw into the bottom of a tractor tank or go 90 end to side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

Wow Steve I'm disappointed...I thought for sure when I starting reading this thread that you would post a picture of a filter you made out of a clear baby food jar or something like that. You always find a way to solve the problem with a homemade solution. I'll look in the shop next time I'm there to see if I have an old one on the shelf for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunlavy, Iowa USA on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

I've been using an in-line glass filter in all my cars for 25 years. They used to be just 6 bucks or so. You can clean it out and it doesn't restrict fuel enough to any problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Don't these bowls usually have a stone filter element in them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Ebay $17.00 to $29.00

Search the part number 2NAA9155B or try this link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Sediment+Bowl+Fuel+Filter&_osacat=0&_from=R 40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS1&_nkw=2NAA9155B&_sacat=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

The old Carter fuel filters are good ones. They are a pretty effective in-line filter and it is too bad that they aren't made any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Got parts from Tractor Supply in Eldon a few years ago and they still list 'em online. However the threaded bowl keeper is potmetal crap that isn't always tall enough to get tight enough for mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 03:15 am:

An inline filter was mentioned.
Most are too restrictive for a car with no fuel pump.
You may get by with a motorcycle filter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 10:34 am:

My thought in going for a glass bulb sediment bowl is that I want to see what's in the gas if there is something. If the bowl has a filter element that doesn't restrict the flow, that's fine. If the element does restrict the flow, I can take it out and still see the gas.

The bowls shown in Royce's link and Justin's picture are the right ones. For Model T use, all those tractor filters made to screw into the bottom of a tank would require too much extra plumbing to suit me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 10:48 am:

Sorry to hear about your fuel sediment problem, Steve.

Looking at a cross section of the sediment bulb, it looks to me to be ideally designed to allow sediment to fall to the bottom, away from the fuel outlet. Can someone educate me on how sediment can make it past the bulb and get to the carb?

I guess I've been lucky so far, I drain a little fuel from my sediment bulb every fifth drive or so, and I get maybe one or two tiny flakes each time. The fuel sample gets strained through a paint filter and I pour it back into the tank.

bulb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 11:19 am:

I think that little bit of maintenance may be the real answer. Presumably the screen is fine enough to catch any objects big enough to clog the carburetor. But it won't stop water if the bulb collects enough to reach the outlet. That's a good reason for periodic draining to be a part of regular maintenance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

I've seen several with the screen missing. Not sure why anyone would ever do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

I too would like to find one of these filters. Stan Howe recommended installing one ahead of the Stromberg OF carb. I had two problems with that.

First, I don't have one and second, there doesn't seem to be any room under the hood for both an on/off valve and a filter. Are you putting the filter further to the rear, somewhere under the floorboards? Are you supporting it some way or letting the fuel line take the weight?

Vintage Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration