Anyone doing oil analysis?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Anyone doing oil analysis?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 11:20 am:

I wonder if there are any labs that can do a T? If it could tell if Babbitt is breaking down it would be good on rear end maybe? I e mailed one lab they don't do old cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Try Caterpillar. They have a lab and will do older heavy equipment. Used to be about $100 per sample. I don't know how that compares to others. But the results are very precise as to what types of foreign materials are present.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 11:55 am:

A very unscientific method would be to run your used oil through a coffee filter then put that filter in a zip lock bag with a date and mileage (if available) on it. Over time you may be able to pick up a trend, I know a couple amateur built aircraft owners who do this. Perhaps attaching a pic of your oil screen magnet at oil change time would also be helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

I analyze my T's oil every time I run it. I turn the petcock, the oil appears, analysis done. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

If you are concerned about the Babbitt washers in the rear end, there is no reason to do oil analysis. Your concern alone is enough reason to take the rear end apart and replace the offending Babbitt washers with the brass ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Jack - Sure,....just take it apart! Easy to say for an engine builder! Think about it Jack,....we know you mean well with a statement like that, but maybe you don't stop to consider that you've done about a hundred and twelve rear ends, and some of us have done,.....ahhh,.....how should I put this,.....maybe like,.....NEVER done one! And when you're "as old as dirt" like me and a lot of others,....well, that just make us more reluctant to tear into an engine, transmission, or, rear end!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry LaPatka- East Tennessee on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Associated Labs in Knoxville, Tennessee
Good professional to deal with. Arthur Woods is the owner. 865-524-3563 Also all Caterpillar dealers offer the service but they are geared towards Caterpillar Engines. Arthur will send the Kits and Mailers to you for the return sample.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

You can order a kit from aircraft spruce.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ep/oilsystems_oilanalysis.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 02:18 pm:

Good one Henry.
My wife does mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Check with Polaris Labs, they are well respected in the trucking industry. They might be able to do it. Beware of "bench top" oil analysis. The results are very unreliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

I agree with Jack regarding the babbitt in the rear end. If you don't know if you have babbitt or if it has been replaced, it behooves you to find out and get those thrust washers out of there. The cost to you or your loved ones of running a stop sign with no brakes, speeding down a hill in "neutral" etc isn't worth the risk. I've replaced the washers in 3 rear ends and it isn't that hard to do. If you are getting "long in the tooth", maybe find a young friend to help you do it. It's not as difficult as an engine or transmission and may save a loved one's life. I also suggest that if you have done it or know it's been done, attach a metal tag like a modern to one of the bolts engraved with the date and that the babbitt has been replaced with bronze so that the next caretaker of your T will know it's safe.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration