Low Band Measuring Point?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Low Band Measuring Point?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Am adjusting my low band today, but i can never tell where on the pedal to measure from to get the right distance to the floorboard. Since the pedal is curved and goes to a slight point at the top, do you measure from that point, or do you go to the center of the pedal?...thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

I have found that if the bottom of my foot is about 1.5 inches above the floorboard when the band is firmly applied, that's precise enough.

I have to climb a short hill in low to get out of my subdivision on every drive, so I do a quick visual check of how high off the flooboard my left foot is as I'm chugging up the hill. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

Thanks Mark,..I appreciate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

I go with the point of the pedal. With Kevlar bands, I like to keep them loose, about an inch off the floorboards when firmly applied with my hand. This gets it down to about 1/2" off the floor when pushed down by my foot in low gear. I go just a little higher on the brake, it needs to stay off the floor in a panic stop. Any higher with either, just increases the risk of heat build up from drag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

John, after almost 100 years use on most of the components, there will be great variance in pedal height/operation. Eric has added another variable. I adjust mine so they work. If the pedal is 1.5" from the boards, so be it. The measurement may be a good starting point, but I would not be concerned if you have to deviate from this to get things in working order.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Thanks guys for the input. I am running Kevlar bands and wanted to make sure i was in the ballpark distance wise. I ended up at about 1 3/4" off the floor, loose enough to not drag, but tight enough to not go over center..it seems happy where its at ...thanks again.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration